Carrera Quatro Comp - Mostly XT components £50

Jason McRoy rode a Carrera in his early days racing I believe.

This particular one was definitely top of the range, and from memory - not a bad bike at all (unlike some of the other Carreras of the time). I remember considering an upgrade to it when it was discounted in the local Halfords to around £400.

That one was made by Pacific - Saracen did the ones in the following couple of years - some of them anyway.
The Waikaloa was a pain in the arse because of the X1 set up and those bloody awful shifters. Too heavy too - but it did look ace, and the paint was thick and robust. I can't remember much about the geometry but I thought it was quite a nice ride once you got rid of the shifters - although any Suntour stuff was a bit more sensitive to proper set up than Shimano and far too many Halfords guys weren't as good at their jobs as they needed to be. ( Nothing much changes ) The brakes were similar - I seem to recall X1 having resin Dia Compe levers that flexed a lot.
The Quattro was bloody lovely, there's an 18 on the bay in south wales at the mo.

Re:

Collected today (Thanks Steve!) and and very happy to report it's better than expected. Very tidy and original, complete with a nice and smooth XT headset. :cool:

I'll have a proper look tomorrow. Oh, the forks are 531 as well allegedly.

Latest posts

Back