Carrera Comp GT

Yeah, it's hilarious. I do find it a bit sad that so many of these end up being regarded as donor material as they were decent, well respected and unflashy bikes back in the day.

greencat":2rosjgar said:
Yeah, it's hilarious. I do find it a bit sad that so many of these end up being regarded as donor material as they were decent, well respected and unflashy bikes back in the day.

So true. Stripping original bikes for parts is right sacrilege!

Graham_hkr":18q8ph91 said:
xxnick1975":18q8ph91 said:
Excellent donor
:facepalm:

Seems I’ve walked into Carrera fans UK!

Retrobike is a broad church, so props to anyone restoring one, but as a previous owner of a Carrera from this range I have some experience of them.

In my opinion the frames aren’t in the same league as Specialized, GT, Kona, Marin, Muddy Fox, Orange etc etc of this era, so personally if you are taking the time, effort and expense to restore a thirty year old bike, might as well start with a good frame.

Hence the donor comment - getting most of an XT groupset for cheap, often hardly used as the owner wasn’t really into bikes, purchased on a whim because they didn’t know any better and it represented “value for money” (or the owner was into bikes and quickly realised it was a bit rubbish and moved on to something better - like me!)

Ive owned one, couldn't even give the frame away after moving parts to a better build.

I have the sneakiest of sneaky feelings that these earlier frames were made by Autostrada - a company that also knocked out frames for Saracen and Harry Hall.

It is not a crappy frame either, its the brand name on the downtube that gives it all the appeal of a Fred West Fanclub membership badge.

Back