Carlton lugs

artgarfheinkel

Devout Dirtbag
Hello
I'm restoring a resprayed and neglected Carlton. I was told it was a Gran Prix but can anyone identify the model from these lugs? Thanks

Attachments

• carltonlugs1.jpg
    carltonlugs1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 897
  • carltonlugs2.jpg
    carltonlugs2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 895
Lugs are Crespera and appeared on a wide range of frames. Is there a frame number somewhere? Bottom bracket, behind the seat on the seat tube or rear
dropouts.

Shaun

Edited to add used 1967 to 1974

Is there any chrome on the last 6-8 " of the forks? If there is then its more likely to be a Corsa as the Grand Prix had no chrome. I'm assuming it has a brazed on centre pull hanger for the rear brake?

Shaun

on BB serial number appears to be 1 and then ar tight angles WES004188
There's a semi circular braze on piece for back brake pull through
Not sure about forks at moment as they were painted light green...have rubbed some off but it could be plain steel

Frame number is W = Worksop (Carlton), E = April and the third digit should be a number which is the year starting 3=1973. Could be a 5 that looks like an S so 1975.

Is there any clue as to the original colour? Inside any of the tubes? Light green if original would tend to suggest a Corsa if chrome ended forks.

The Continental had side pull brakes so no braze on rear brake hanger although that did come in Aqua Green as well.

Carlton used this frame for a wide range of bikes, even the early Raleigh Europa

Europa.jpg

Shaun

Re:

Frame and forks. Previous owner had fitted flat bars. Excuse the living room

Attachments

• Carlton3.jpg
    Carlton3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 825
  • Carlton4.jpg
    Carlton4.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 824
Back