Carbon V Aluminium Rigid Forks

IMG_0125.jpg

Polishing Kit...Takes a bit of practice to get used to,but brilliant results will be acheived if a little percivierance is used.

Like I said, Bob, it takes a lot of practice and time.I aimed to polish a tube a night depending on corrosion.and mind the chuck of the drill around the triple triangle area as it can snatch and re scratch the frame.

Good Luck.
:cool: :LOL: ;)

Well i'd like to get my RTS somewhere near that shiney which will probably be even more awkward, i'll practice on my modern Avalanche as it's rough as a badger's bottom and I'm not bothered about that one

No worries, you can repolish any scratches that you acidentally create back out.When you have used up the 'soaps' provided with the kit,for its final polish use about 3 tubes of autosolve.Its messy,but brings it up nice...and dont rush, let the mop and drill do the work,just hold onto it firmly.

Bought one of those kits myself after seeing these results. Definitely worth it, but if you're anything like me you'll end up looking like you've spent a shift down a mine after a couple of hours. And it's a bugger to clean up your eyes - I still looked like I was wearing mascara even after a good going over with the better halves make up removers! As already stated, watch out for the mop snatching on the frame and the chuck hitting and scratching.

lewism":ryxjsd89 said:
As already stated, watch out for the mop snatching on the frame and the chuck hitting and scratching.

Try covering the chuck in a few layers of tape to limit unintentional scratches.

lewism":3tct7kkn said:
Bought one of those kits myself after seeing these results. Definitely worth it, but if you're anything like me you'll end up looking like you've spent a shift down a mine after a couple of hours. And it's a bugger to clean up your eyes - I still looked like I was wearing mascara even after a good going over with the better halves make up removers! As already stated, watch out for the mop snatching on the frame and the chuck hitting and scratching.
I must add,for own protection,i wore a paper hooded suit,a mask and goggles and obviously fine suede gloves,as,yes,you will look you have been mining for silver ore!...and great tip about the drill chuck/insulation tape combo! (I use a plastic chuck becuase of this reason).

This polishing method is also fantastic on all your old brake levers,v-brakes and anything ali in general.For small components,I recommend nailing them to a flat piece of wood otherwise the drill will grab 'em and whip 'em up into the air!... :eek: :)

Masked up, goggled up, taped up and getting shinier. Cheers for the tips guys. Next up though, I too have a new set of alloy forks. They're painted black and, obviously, the frame is going to be polished alloy - to strip or not? They're Kinesis MTB forks, with a disc brake tab which will be redundant (and ugly) when the bike's built up. If I strip the forks, I'll remove the tab. If I do, would blending back to the fork cause any structural problems? Would I be better off cutting off above the weld and leaving a couple of bumps?

Back