Car Help....Mechanics* advice needed.......

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
* or just someone who knows more about cars than me :oops: :roll:

Right bear with me here....

We have (read the wifes) a Peugeot 206 from 2000. 134000 miles on the clock and pretty sound except for two things:

1) When the car is traveling and a gear is engaged between 1700rpm and 2000rm the car "stammers". Most of the time this isn't really noticeable as the car is usually kept above 2000rpm but in 3rd or 4th around town it is noticeable. (makes the car shudder). Any ideas?

2) 4th gear. Between 1700rpm and 3000rm (whilst accelerating only, not whilst in gear but coasting) the gear stick visibly shakes in situe. This is enough to be very apparent in the car. Only 4th seems to go it - pain in the a$$ for getting up to 5th gear. Changing up earlier sees me with the problem in point 1!

I acknowledge that the car has done high(ish) mileage but it has always been serviced etc.

Any advice/suggestions*/remedies**

Cheers Mark

* buying a new car may be an option
** those suggesting not buying a french car in future will be hunted down

A quick punt around the web seems to indicate that 206 gear boxes are naff and can go as early as 18,000 miles.

also check engine mounts as these are vulnerable.

You shouldnt have bought french.

You have my address... :p

I was also going to suggest engine mounts as a first check before delving any deeper.

Silly question but if it were engine mounts would it not happen throughout the range and in all gears?

So could also be the gearbox :?

LGF I'll be round after lunch ;)

letmetalktomark":2cxsoh29 said:
Silly question but if it were engine mounts would it not happen throughout the range and in all gears?

So could also be the gearbox :?

LGF I'll be round after lunch ;)

not necessarily, but both these and the gear box show up as the most common mechanical problem next to electrical faults.

I'll have the kettle on...

First of all congratulations on getting a Peugeot past 100,000 miles!!!

If this is the only problem you have then it's good going. There could be a number of things causing the 'judder' but the good news is they all relate to the gearbox. Best thing is to fit a recon gearbox...................or......... Have you heard about the government scrapage scheme :D

If you can't fit it yourself, then it could be very costly and might be worth custting your losses and sell it as it is, maybe try selling it at auction (but not BCA auction!!) most older cheaper cars at auctions all have gearbox problems!

pop the bonnet. have wife in car engine running and in gear. bring clutch to biting point. does the engine move? if it moves a tiny bit its normal. if it moves more than a tiny bit, probably mounts.

how much is a tiny bit? no idea

big.eck":3l9wqmd5 said:
i had a 205gti with that problem , turned out to be worn gear linkages ;)

Ah a 205 man ;)

I have a couple, one with the good old Mi which I converted in 02, long term plan is a supercharger. The other is all original 1.6, fun on the b roads :D

letmetalktomark":1ku9eztr said:
* or just someone who knows more about cars than me :oops: :roll:

Right bear with me here....

We have (read the wifes) a Peugeot 206 from 2000. 134000 miles on the clock and pretty sound except for two things:

1) When the car is traveling and a gear is engaged between 1700rpm and 2000rm the car "stammers". Most of the time this isn't really noticeable as the car is usually kept above 2000rpm but in 3rd or 4th around town it is noticeable. (makes the car shudder). Any ideas?

2) 4th gear. Between 1700rpm and 3000rm (whilst accelerating only, not whilst in gear but coasting) the gear stick visibly shakes in situe. This is enough to be very apparent in the car. Only 4th seems to go it - pain in the a$$ for getting up to 5th gear. Changing up earlier sees me with the problem in point 1!

I acknowledge that the car has done high(ish) mileage but it has always been serviced etc.

Any advice/suggestions*/remedies**

Cheers Mark

* buying a new car may be an option
** those suggesting not buying a french car in future will be hunted down
It could be ignition related (the rev range thing, and vibration are making me think that way).

Don't know much about Peugeots, but is that old style coil, dizzy cap and leads, or coil pack for each plug, for that age of 206?

When was the last time the leads and plugs were changed?

Also how does the FI system measure air - does it use a MAF sensor (some do it by measuring air flow, some do it by measuring manifold pressure). If it's MAF, it may be worth considering - but I'd expect there to be codes stored if the MAF is playing up.

Normally when they fail, disconnecting it makes no difference to the engine running.

Do you know anybody with a code reader, or do you know how much a dealer would charge to pull any codes that may be stored?

Back