canti and vbrake HELP retrobike!

Re:

What is so canti or v specific about the frame and fork that you can't just use whichever you want? There is a slight difference in boss placement for cantis and vs, but they're usually interchangeable without any problems at all? If the fork doesn't have a cable hanger then you could just use a v on the frame too?

Re:

Dia Compe PC-7EXA can be used with cantis or Vs (they have an adjuster inside the lever body).

I bought a brand new pair on Ebay recently for US$18.

Attachments

• Diacompe 01.GIF
    Diacompe 01.GIF
    23.1 KB · Views: 471
Re:

Hi Foz
its an old ibis mojo with the "hand job" rear canti hanger - it would be a crime not to use it :D
I picked it up a month or so ago and I'm fixing it up as a rider

if you use low pro cantis at the back so you dont get heel/ brake interaction and a big fat wide set of cantis at the front, you'll get comparable braking performance to a set of V's.

Re:

For retro, 1st generation Avid Ultimates. For a blingy, new option, you can order individual levers from Paul Components in either version that look similar to each other.

secret_squirrel":26qhd1b7 said:
I though there was a lower end Shimano model level that could do both Canti and V? One of the servo wave models? STX rings a bell.

Think you're right, they had a "H-L" setting on the lever (high-low)?

Think I have some in the man cave.

If you have a bolt-hole in the fork crown you can use one of these adaptors and keep cantis at both ends:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/raleigh-fron ... prod21510/

Got one on my latest build, did it to save buying a full set of V's and levers. It needs a shorter bolt than the one that comes with it other than that it works fine. Possibly a bit flexy for extreme off-road but for general riding it's fine so far, no noticeable loss of power. For £3.99 worth a punt if it will fit.

Re: Re:

Tifishlips#1":32z8h9km said:
Hi Foz
its an old ibis mojo with the "hand job" rear canti hanger - it would be a crime not to use it :D
I picked it up a month or so ago and I'm fixing it up as a rider

Ha, I have exactly the same problem!

It's a '96* so just about justified in running m950** Vs to match the rest of the groupset BUT the unused handjob is a disgrace and causes me to die a little inside...

I really don't fancy using a brake rocker on a fork brace that wasn't designed for the strain.

I have got a pair of TechLite levers (as pictured above) that I'd be prepared to sell though, if you want to try them out?

* '95/6 I think
** m951 in truth, but the differences, in appearance at least, are minimal... ;)

Latest posts

Back