Cannondale SM800 1987 early beast of the east swap?

clockworkgazz

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
new addition to the fold means I have to look at letting one go. Full spec if you are interested looking at £450 posted or would be interested in a swap for a modern bike or some interesting retro stuff, what you got? New decals dust caps and you have a period perfect machine. 21 inch frame but feels fine to me (5 11)

see this build thread.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98388

dale2.jpg

dale-3.jpg

dale3.jpg

another fat :roll:

I have been afraid to ride the dale and decided that there is only room for one garage queen.

.a very big bike.......?

.......hi loved the bike so much it got my vote 4 botm, i especially like rollercams,........but i do have a cple of questions...before going to the cash point..... :D

1....can you tell me exactly how much stand over height you have when stood over that frame, im 5 11, and i do feel the need to have at least a cple of inches...........?

2. (even more important)....did you refinish the frame yourself, the reason i ask is, i need to know if it has been lacquered or not....?????
......the frame is beautifully finished, but sumthing has bothered me every time i have looked at it, the decals that are fitted are incorrect for that model year, and were fitted from 1990 till 1996, and it should have the older sticker kit from 1983 to 89,........and i wouldnt have worried about it, and could have lived with it, however the head badge has been fitted upside down, and should have been rotated 60 degrees anti-clockwise.

this wont be a problem for me if you havnt lacquered it as i can then easily remove and correct the mistake, however if it is lacquered, i would have to refinish it, and thats costly and i would need to send you a pm, ref price..........???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Attachments

• correct headbadge fitting 2.jpg
    correct headbadge fitting 2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,147
good news is that the wrong decals are just stuck on top so easily removed however there is all but a baw-hair stand over clearance. I am 5 11 too so is prob more suited to the larger rider albeit because of the 24 inch wheel it felt ok to me but in all honesty the 19 inch would prob be a better size for us both.

The bike also comes with a spare 24 inch wheel and slick tyre (fatboy I think) for quick conversion to road duties. And the price is posted.

WOW...and people say I am picky...... You want a price drop for a mis placed sticker??? I say it makes it unique... tack on another 50... :)

In your other thread, you list the serial... 22041487014 22=22" frame.. Older Dales are measured to the top of the seat tube.. not the top tube... the rest. 041487.. is 04/14/1987... and it was #014 of the run.....

Could be either an SM600 or SM800 as both came with 24" wheel option.. Hard to tell since the only differences were the color and quality of components... and neither seems to be origional

Something for the nitt-pickers......possibly a repaint ... Red was not an available color in 1987, and it has much later stickers(should be white writing on top tube and head badge should have a house on it) Fork seems to be wrong too... should have a brazed crown rather than the "unicrown" style...There is also the chance that it could have been sold as a bare frame.. These usually came in colors not found in the catalog, and there is no way to tell from the serial....

She is an absolute beauty... and still well worth the price... You can look at all the catalogs and info at www.vintagecannondale.com A website every vintage Cannondale owner should have bookmarked..

great info crum and agree looks like a respray and I thought the fork was not right from the cat scans I had seen. The bike has a mavic BB and did have a mavic headset and campy chainset (but they were missplaced by the previous owner) to go with the campy rear and shifters on it now, so my guess is it was for the European market.

and Ill throw in a very nice silver campy headset with the deal, I did not fit as it is missing the race but yours and would look great on the bike too if you find a race for it.

I should add... I have had several frames come through my hands that were either sold as just frames, or were waranty replacements, and all of them were red.. So the paint could be real.... You can tell the replacement frames because everything will be there except the model designation....

Back