Can you tell what it is yet? Roberts Phantom built!

Re:

Final configuration.

7463a29ea22be455586ddb6266ae9271_zps6d2afdc4.jpg

Re:

All the saddles at the same height and (most of) the bars too... if that doesn't say 'they are ridden' I don't know what does.

Re:

My silver Cats is a bit head down, arse up, which is why I whimped out on a couple of the drop offs on the FoD ride.

The upside though it when climbing and when banging along at speed.

Re:

You're a machine THM :LOL: Can't say that I approve of the V's on the Roberts but each to their own :)

Re:

I have , pansy ! :LOL:
Only joking mate . They all look good actually . Except the bar height on the Orange .
As for flat out riding Neil , try soma dem bar ends fings mate . Or one piece jobbies like oi got on me Scott see

Mike

Re:

First Ride - 8.2 miles and 919ft.

I can only compare to the other two steel hand made frames i have (Pioneer and Alves) so...........

First impression was that the rear brake was spongy despite the Vs until i stopped, looked down and watched the stays visibly flex on reasonable pressure. This is not to say I couldn't lock it up at will on all surfaces, just a bit of a departure for the on/off less subtle U brakes on the others. Front was planted and far less twitchy than the pioneer which makes for a less stressful concerted ride - again, not as laid back as the Alves though but very much a confidence inspiring characteristic of fast steering but not crazy fast a la Pioneer.

On the 800ft mile long climb I put in a PB despite it not being as 'press and go'. I'm sure that this is the man for all seasons type of rider that has taken the best aspects of a full on race type frame and a climbing frame with a little high speed downhill confidence inspiring sure footed-ness thrown in for good measure.

All it requires is a chain stay protector as I winced with every slap on the 35mph home run. (I blame the tyres for the 10mph drop in speed) I know i say this with all my bikes but I now have another hard to part with rarity. I didn't grin and fight all the way round as i do on the Pioneer. I didn't feel stately yet able to press on should in comfort as i do on the Alves. The Phantom feels not too hot, not too cold. In fact, just right.

Whatever happened to all these alchemists?

Pictures to follow.

Back