Can you tell what it is yet? Roberts Phantom built!

Saddle and stem were stopgaps from another bike. Maybe a spoon. Don't like amber walls. They look old fashioned! :LOL:

Re:

Nice one HM :cool:

So now your Kula is missing a seatpost and by extension-or lack thereof- a saddle , you won't be needing it I guess :roll:
BTW , I think a black Rolls would look good too ;)

Mike

How are they for comfort? Could you give me an idea of a similar saddle. I like bel airs and spec BG, the skinny ones though.

The History Man":2fnm51fp said:
How are they for comfort?

I find them fine, in fact don't notice the saddle which has to be a good thing (Paris-Roubaix in the wet plus De Ronde x 2 on a Rolls, no soreness or chafing at all).

Re:

They're pretty good for me . Have a couple of them . Slightly wider than my normal Flite at the front , which I notice due to my fat thighs :LOL: , but other than that , ok mate .

Mike

Re:

Thanks for sharing this, another really nice old Roberts. Particularly interesting to see the detail provided on the old eBay listing - have you thought of copying this over to the thread for posterity?
I wish my builds were anything like as rapid as yours.
Glad you enjoy the ride.

From Original 2013 ebay listing:

A very, very rare 1990 custom built MTB frameset. Manufactured in May 1990 and at the time listed in the Mountain bike review (Bicycle Action) fully spec'd with Campagnolo groupset at £1250 list. Making it one of the most expensive custom builds available at the time. Not an out and out racer like its sister, the White Spider, this was more a hybrid machine that sat between the White spider and the Rough Stuff. From the period adverts of the time, I can find no reference to it apart from the aforementioned Bicycle Action review. Andrew (Ironman) at Roberts provided some detail on the Hybrid nature of the design shortly after I aquired her.

Beefy Reynolds drop outs are fitted, another rarity and has rack mount braze-on to take a rear rack.

Tube Set
Columbus MAX OR, with its elliptical and orientated tubes and massive chain stays, makes for a stiff frame, but with the fat tyres it is very comfortable, responsive and a joy to ride. The frame tubes are very thin (0.4mm at the mid section)

Front Drop outs
100mm
Rear Drop outs
130mm
Seat Tube C-T-T
560mm (20") & Headtube = 200mm
Top Tube C-T-C
565mm (20.25") Semi-compact sloping top tube (Virtual seat tube C-T-T = Approx.580mm (23")
Wheel Base
1055mm (41.5")
Seat Post Dia.
27.0mm
Wheel Size
559 (26”)

The History Man":14reb7xs said:
f7e875a69a6277b6689c4d71a744ac61_zps49e496f4.jpg

Is it a trick of the light or are there 2 dents on the top tube?

There are two dents on the top tube, one from where Chas dropped it at birth, and the other from the internal vacuum caused by the airflow across the top of the seat post during my superfast downhill riding.

Maybe.

or they could just be 'Patina'. It will probably gain a few more before i've finished. very thin!

Just been starting fitting xt Vs xt thumbies and xt front mech. I know it's sacrilegious to some but I'm a big chap and crap canti brakes aren't an option on too many of my bikes. Should make it a proper rider.

Back