Can we just agree on what NOS means please!

Now you’ve got to define what a NOS ‘bike’ is first. The frame? The frame and forks? The complete bike?

In my mind, anything taken out of its box and attached to a bicycle frameset, but then removed, even if not used, becomes a ‘new unused take-off part’.
A NOS bike is everything NOS. The whole thing.

If I chose then to sell that bike, and so long as it was built but not ridden, I am, theoretically, comfortable in referring to it as a NOS bike.

However, as I never sell my builds, it is all a bit academic for me

if a bike isn’t ‘stock’ ie as built from the manufacturer when new, then it’s an unused bike, built with NOS parts.

Of course, a NOS rear mech ceases to be NOS as soon as it’s fitted, which means it’s just an unused bike.

But then it’s been test ridden, so it’s just a used bike.

It’s all just used bikes.

if it was built by the manufacturer, then put in to stock in a store/ supplier or held in its warehouse then its NOS. If it isn’t built by the manufacturer, and held in stock, it can't be NOS because its never Been stock, so I'm afraid a bike built from NOS is not NOS because its never Been stock.

if a bike isn’t ‘stock’ ie as built from the manufacturer when new, then it’s an unused bike, built with NOS parts.

Of course, a NOS rear mech ceases to be NOS as soon as it’s fitted, which means it’s just an unused bike.

Don’t even set the gears up on full NOS builds, much less ride ‘em

Beat me to saying this by seconds. Lol

if it was built by the manufacturer, then put in to stock in a store/ supplier or held in its warehouse then its NOS. If it isn’t built by the manufacturer, and held in stock, it can't be NOS because its never Been stock, so I'm afraid a bike built from NOS is not NOS because its never Been stock.
So, let me understand this.

A bike entirely built from new old stock parts, that is never ridden, can only be deemed a new old stock bike if it was the manufacturer (i.e. some minimum wage dude in Taiwan, employed by a third party factory) that bolted all the new parts onto it? If anyone other than this dude in Taiwan does the assembly, of exactly the same, new, parts suddenly it’s…. different?

A bike entirely built from new old stock parts, that is never ridden, can only be deemed a new old stock bike if it was the manufacturer (i.e. some minimum wage dude in Taiwan, employed by a third party factory) that bolted all the new parts onto it? If anyone other than this dude in Taiwan does the assembly, of exactly the same, new, parts suddenly it’s…. different?
If anyone other than the MANUFACTURER built it and STOCKED it then it isn't NOS because it was never STOCK. No matter how much effort you've put in, sourcing the right parts, you are not the manufacturer, you have not put the bike in stock, on a stock list, tagged for stock, its replica, not a NOS bike.

I'm sure your bikes are amazing and completely accurate to the smallest detail, but they have not ever, as a collection of parts together, sat as a stock item. Sorry.

If the bike is being built in a factory then the parts and the bike are NOT new old stock. They are new current stock, or simply new.

Beaten by novocaine..

Latest posts

Back