Can we just agree on what NOS means please!

I think we are all in agreement as to what nos means (unless you are into cars, then I think it's nitrous gas).

Those that use it inaccurately are chancers.

Just for my own amusement I just typed in NOS and search in description on eBay filtered to the cycling category. Really wish I hadn’t, could fill pages of ranting about stuff that isn’t NOS. There’s a very well known seller on there with a load of stuff just listed, I’m sure they think it means can we clean/polish it up enough to describe as NOS. A few storage marks maybe but how does an NOS rear mech get what are clearly grazes from it being used?

Think about it like a toothbrush.

It’s either new or it isn’t.

However ….. if you bolted a load of NOS parts onto a NOS frame is that classed as NOS as a full bike? But if a part is removed , it can’t be NOS……
I would respectfully say, yes.. I’ve been lucky enough to get my paws on a few NOS frames over the years and have scoured this place for “NOS” components, better (and safer) yet, BNIB.. and built an NOS bike or two. Still
Never ridden any of them, not even down the street.

So.. the bikes are NOS.. but if I strip the parts off? Well, that’s where it gets more subjective..

“Was NOS not long ago” makes me laugh as well

I think we can all agree everything was nos once.
Well probably not actually…as there must be a period of time to pass for something new in stock to become new but now considered old stock…, so do we start a new debate for how long before something new new becomes something new but old? 🤷‍♂️

I would respectfully say, yes.. I’ve been lucky enough to get my paws on a few NOS frames over the years and have scoured this place for “NOS” components, better (and safer) yet, BNIB.. and built an NOS bike or two. Still

So.. the bikes are NOS.. but if I strip the parts off? Well, that’s where it gets more subjective..
Now you’ve got to define what a NOS ‘bike’ is first. The frame? The frame and forks? The complete bike?

In my mind, anything taken out of its box and attached to a bicycle frameset, but then removed, even if not used, becomes a ‘new unused take-off part’.

Unused as bought bicycle inc all parts as factory fitted is NOS.

Any other complete bike isn’t. Ex demo, round block ridden altered not Nos.

Subjective!?!

The parts in your scenario are "unused" and no amount of mental gymnastics is going to make them anything else. You might want them to be "NOS", and add on the NOSTAX, but you are just going to get called out on it by anyone who isn't a moron.

If a part has been mounted it is no longer NOS. It is a very simple rule.

Back