Can Old 80s Shimano Deore Pedals Be Serviced?

woodbine

Dirt Disciple
I have Shimano Deore MT60 bear trap pedals from the mid 80s. They're getting a bit noisy, making a roaring noise when spun by hand. I assume they need new BBs and some grease. Will a good bike shop be able to strip and service this type of pedal? They must be good pedals, as there are some on ebay, used at £60 a pair! So poss worth saving.

vintagesh-1373253544-14301.jpg

Easily done as long as edges of where axle go through haven't been bent due to bike been laid on them etc. If this has happened can be a pain as you can't get socket in to undo nuts, I've just done some copies and had this problem. It was easily overcome by using a screwdriver to hold nuts while I used the crank arm side to undo the axle. Extra bearings are a wise idea unless you have a little space to contain stray bearings. I also found that it's was easier to keep everything in place if you put the outer bearings in first and hold the cone against bearings whilst you load the inner bearings. Pretty easy job even for those not so confident, hardest part can be keeping all bearings in place but a good dollop of grease should hold them in place.
Quick question while am here. Is there a sealed bearing that can be used for pedals like these?

Easy ! Remove cages, undo and remove plastic dust cap ( use circlip pliers with care ) Remove old grease from pedal body and inside of cap.
Fill pedal body and inside of cap completely with grease and screw cap back into the body. You will have pumped the fresh grease into and around the two rows of ball bearings forcing the old grease out towards the crank end of the pedal axle. You can repeat this operation if required
On a good day the pedals should feel like new, however if there is any slight play in the pedal, you will need to tighten the outer bearing track slightly.
Shimano make a special tool for this, but it can be done as explained above, with patience. On a really bad day the pedals will still feel rough, which may indicate that the ball bearings ( and track ) have become worn. The ball bearings are a special Shimano size ( 2.2mm dia. ) and not available. You can fit the nearest available larger size ( you will need 4 rows of 11 balls in total ) pm me if you get this far

... of course, if you've let them go that far, and get so bad, that they make a 'roaring' sound when spun ... good luck to you!

Drill tiny hole in the dust caps, inject grease of your choice, and seal with small sheet metal screw. This works for any pedals with dust caps.
Regards

Back