Can anyone help to id my Saracen Frame?

muppetman":2l04l3m3 said:
We_are_Stevo":2l04l3m3 said:
Hmmm, having just trawled through all 72 pages of the ESLA thread it was actually the cat. scan that made me plump for my suggestion;

That's funny! I've been through all pages of the Saracen thread twice and have come up with nothing!

'93 cat. scan...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=saracen

My Kili is the colour of the one in the pix, but yours looks more purple??

We_are_Stevo":syzjehhe said:
I don't think the later bikes had the pulley for the front mech. though??

The rear of the pierced toptube is curved ('92 was flat), the lower cablestop for the front mech. is right-of-center on the downtube ('92 was left-of-center), it has a pulley to reverse the pull for the front mech. (removed after '95 :?: ), and it takes a seperate seatclamp.

It's the apparent colour that throws it.

It's not a Tuff Trax, I'm pretty certain of that, and I haven't been able to find any reference to an early Pro Trax... :?

I think saracen used the pulley when necessary and i have seen late nineties low end bikes with pulley. Higher end kilis used the pulley in 95 for sure.

Yes Saracen end cap became curved in 93

Taking a separate seat clamp means not a lot in my mind cos as mentioned Saracen chopped and changed so much. I have seen same model/year bikes with both separate and integrated clamps.

Right, I stopped off on the way home from work and picked up some digital scales from Argos (been meaning to get some for ages!)

Measures 19.5" c to top and weighs in at 2058g including the seat clamp. Never weighed a frame before so no idea if this is light or not.

Any more ideas?

1993 frame has already been ruled out by the seatpost not being a 26.2mm

dendy":3q052huf said:
My money is on either a 94/95/96 sport range frame eg. tufftrax/terra trax
I think this is as close as we will get for now.

I am however in contact with Neilll who, you may remember, visited Saracen HQ quite some time ago and scanned all of their catalogue collection.
I hoping to get all the files from him so that they can be converted to PDFs and added to the archive.

For me at least, this would be like finding the holy grail, and I'm sure would go a long way to answering so many of the unanswered Saracen related questions we've seen over the years.

Fingers crossed.

OK, so although I still have no idea of what this is, I'm going to build it up anyway.

I was hopefully going for a period build, but as this frame seems a lot newer than I previously thought (seems the general consensus is 94 or later), that's not going to happen as my entire parts bin predates 1994! Oh well, will be in the reader's bikes section soon!

We_are_Stevo":psras7jq said:
Well this ( http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... n&start=15 ) is my '94 if you want any inspiration...

...and let's face it, BiTD we(I) would buy a frame and build it up with what was available (ie. what I could afford!) so what's to say yours won't be period correct? ;)

Thanks - already looked at your '94 for inspiration!

One last question to all before I disappear into the cave to start building....any idea what forks (rigid) would suit this? What A-C would I need (have no idea if this is suspension corrected or not!) The seller said it orignally arrived to him with Mag 21s on, but no idea if these were oem fit.

This is my first build from frame only (only ever bought frame and forks as a complete package before!) so all help gratefully received!

Back