Can anyone help to id my Saracen Frame?

The early Saracen's also had a flat "S" pierced top tube, later are curved.
This is my '92 Tufftrax. Funny Tufftrax used to be pretty well specced up to 1992, full DX and it's been around since 89 (or 88?) Then it slipped down the list and is known as a cheapy now once all the other "trax" were brought out. But pretty sure terratrax was below tufftrax.
I have a kili that's 27.0 seatpost for reference.

P1010811.JPG

Ok then - mine's a curved Saracen end cap, so I guess mine is later. From all of this, I'm almost convicted its a 94 or 95...just need to id the model!

Judging by the colour I'm leaning towards '96 Tufftrax??

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... &start=360

...which just goes to show I'm talking utter b*ll*cks because the seatclamps are totally different, and no pulley for the front mech! :roll:

Soooooooooooo; I'm going to stick my neck out and say, depending on the weight, either '93 Traverse or Kili...

...and as there was only a 2lb difference in the weight of the cat. spec bikes either would be a result :cool:

We_are_Stevo":3add1zt5 said:
Judging by the colour I'm leaning towards '96 Tufftrax??

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... &start=360

...which just goes to show I'm talking utter b*ll*cks because the seatclamps are totally different, and no pulley for the front mech! :roll:

Soooooooooooo; I'm going to stick my neck out and say, depending on the weight, either '93 Traverse or Kili...

...and as there was only a 2lb difference in the weight of the cat. spec bikes either would be a result :cool:

imo it's not a 93 : http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54777&highlight=saracen

My money is on either a 94/95/96 sport range frame eg. tufftrax/terra trax

Hmmm, having just trawled through all 72 pages of the ESLA thread it was actually the cat. scan that made me plump for my suggestion;

Difficult to tell as the colour may not repro exactly on everyones monitors but the physical aspects of the frame narrow it down. If I was going by the colour alone I'd say it was a Pro Trax - and it definitely ain't one of them!

We_are_Stevo":3gklvxto said:
Hmmm, having just trawled through all 72 pages of the ESLA thread it was actually the cat. scan that made me plump for my suggestion;

Difficult to tell as the colour may not repro exactly on everyones monitors but the physical aspects of the frame narrow it down. If I was going by the colour alone I'd say it was a Pro Trax - and it definitely ain't one of them!

The physical aspects of the frame narrow it down to any of the mid nineties pierced top tube frames. Saracen chopped and changed their frame detailing quite extensively so it can be misleading to say the least.

I said it wasn't a 93 based on the frame being the original powder coat and not finding one bike in the 93 catalogue that is close to this purple colour regardless of monitor calibration/repro.

Here's a link to the 95-96 kilis: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131456&highlight=kili

I maybe a 94 kili as aside from coombers 94 kili comp I have seen no more.

I have only seen a 97 protrax and it's not one of them but again I am not sure if the protrax was not made before 97..

We_are_Stevo":r1rlspn9 said:

That's funny! I've been through all pages of the Saracen thread twice and have come up with nothing!

I don't think the later bikes had the pulley for the front mech. though??

The rear of the pierced toptube is curved ('92 was flat), the lower cablestop for the front mech. is right-of-center on the downtube ('92 was left-of-center), it has a pulley to reverse the pull for the front mech. (removed after '95 :?: ), and it takes a seperate seatclamp.

It's the apparent colour that throws it.

It's not a Tuff Trax, I'm pretty certain of that, and I haven't been able to find any reference to an early Pro Trax... :?

Back