Can anyone help me identify my old Raleigh?

Andy69

Dirt Disciple
As above....I sadly had to sell this in about '91 to pay a bl**dy Polltax bill and have regretted it ever since.
I've seen various similar bikes with 'standard tubing'.
Anyway, my current bike is going so well, that my good lady/pursekeeper has given me the go-ahead to do another :D
I have read various ideas and ebay assertions...including this poor hassled chap on an ebay listing....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=269873

I do know, it was bought in 1986....believe it or not, by my mum from Kays Catalogue in their 'sale'. It was definitely Reynolds 501 tubing, though not the forks. The tubing was 'aerospace contour'...ovalised and had the 'aero' bottle and cage. Gears were Huret.
I'd love to know the name of the bike and am hoping that this may help me track one down for a proper resto / project and help learn as much as I can and find the very best bike possible.
Any help would be gratefully received..
Cheers :)

It's a Team Cadet, introduced circa 1984 with the 'Aerospace Countour' tubing (along with the Record Sprint, Pulsar and Quasar)

These 501 built bikes never featured in the catalogue, as it was mainly an 18-23 tubed bike.

Seemingly, someone at Nottingham decided to build a quantity with what would (I guess) have been either Record Sprint or Quasar frames, as they were only ever Reynolds 501 equipped.

I've seen quite a few crop up on eBay, albeit that you might also find the 'odd' Team Corsa which is 501 frame and forks, but was only built in 1986 to the best of my knowledge (this is mine viewtopic.php?f=23&t=267023&p=2000704#p2000704 ) this is equipped with Shimano 105 Golden Arrow group set, which will distinguish it from the Cadet which will have Sachs Huret front and rear mechs, and the 'standard' Raleigh Custom Chainset

Hope you find one

That is terrific, thanks a lot...didn't expect such a conclusive and quick response !
I have a really unnatural fetish for the 'halcyon' Raleigh Panasonic days and therefore, this livery. Your bike is lovely. I will track a good one down....I uprated mine in the late 80's with Campagnolo Chorus (and lots of help from Sheffield Cycles in Burton!), which was beautiful, but I think that is a bit beyond the economically viable now; prices are ridiculous!
With mine not appearing in the brochures, may explain why it was sold through my parents catalogue....?
Anyway, cheers :)

Andy69":3oz07an2 said:
That is terrific, thanks a lot...didn't expect such a conclusive and quick response !
I have a really unnatural fetish for the 'halcyon' Raleigh Panasonic days and therefore, this livery. Your bike is lovely. I will track a good one down....I uprated mine in the late 80's with Campagnolo Chorus (and lots of help from Sheffield Cycles in Burton!), which was beautiful, but I think that is a bit beyond the economically viable now; prices are ridiculous!
With mine not appearing in the brochures, may explain why it was sold through my parents catalogue....?

It may well be that this was a 'catalogue' model.

Raleigh are 'famous' for them, especially in the 80's

There is one on eBay, albeit it's listed as a Corsa (which it isn't)

This has just dropped in price by £50

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Ralei ... 27e05379f7

Original 1984 brochure:

http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalo ... l84_08.jpg

Spec:

http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalo ... l84_09.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
MrW":3fwpxw6s said:
Andy69":3fwpxw6s said:

It may well be that this was a 'catalogue' model.

Raleigh are 'famous' for them, especially in the 80's

There is one on eBay, albeit it's listed as a Corsa (which it isn't)

This has just dropped in price by £50

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Ralei ... 27e05379f7
Yes...just seen it..shhhh! :)
Looks quite rough, but a fair price. I'd like to view it and check that bottom bracket shell, but working unfortunately.
I'll keep looking.\
Cheers, Andy!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

It's been on eBay a while...

A sensible offer might buy it

I'd be prepared for a full on restoration judging by it's condition

I was lucky with the Corsa, it hadn't been cleaned for years, and the grime had actually protected the bike and components, so all I had to do was strip it all down and clean it up

I've seen Cadet's make £150 with 18-23 tubing, so I guess it's all about timing

My Son a couple of years ago got his hands on the same type of bike and was a corker,
he got it for free and the guy said if you can sell it, sell it! Sold on gumtree for £180.

Wasn't nicked neither as the guy still had the bill of sale which was in his name.

Re:

Thanks both for the replies. The catalogue is terrific too, cheers. I may be waiting 'til the end of the month before pursuing, but know a heck of a lot more than I did 12 hours ago...cheers

Back