Can a new RS paris Roubaix be converted to a MAG21??

reetegoed

Dirt Disciple
Now I have this NOS Rock Shox Paris Roubaix SL which I was going to sell.
Or trade for a very good Mag 21...
But suddenly I realised I could sell this baby for around 100 euro's but ... restoring a old Mag 21 will probably be just as expensive, and there are NO airvalves available that are new.....
So I checked the manuals.
Looks like a lot of parts are common wih the Mag's .
But not the valve assembly (could be exchanged with an old MAG or drilled ) the top out sleeve (it has almost no travel..but this could be replaced from an old MAG ) but the biggest difference is probably the stanchion....(forget the brace , that can easily be changed)
The Paris type is black coated , and i think the lenght is different.
Who knows if it can be done?
Anyway , the parts , like top valves are like new , so I don't think I will sell it.
Or somebody wants to exchange it with a realy nice Mag... :roll:
pbpic2559846.jpg

Well the Axle to Crown of these is shorter than the standard MAG21 (not by a lot)
The valve assembly is the same as the 1994 series MAGs (21/21SL/21SLTi), i.e. you'll need the one's with Alu stanchions

I think the lower legs are different, well have a different replacement number, it does have a total lockout facility though.

Best I can say is put a normal brace and crown on it (though probably the same crown) and measure up.
Increase travel the normal way of shortening the top out sleeve at a guess.

That crown doesn't look like it's the original one though, doe not look like what I would expect an SL crown/steerer to be

That crown doesn't look like it's the original one though, doe not look like what I would expect an SL crown/steerer to be
Was waiting for your reply Fluff.
Its unchanged from the box..so whats with that crown? Any pictures how it's supposed to be?

FluffyChicken":2o6ru26u said:

Looking at the pics I have found, reetegoed's crown is more straight edged compared to the originals which are 'flowing' and smooth ala 20/21's.

Odd :?

It shouldn't have the 'ring' under the crown. that is reminiscent of a 1993 style crown. Also the steerer tube should be Alu. It should look like the 1994+ style and more than likely is the SL crown so polished.

I will also mention the forks are either flat (no air in them) and probably fully compressed. If not something is wrong ;)

There was an early model I assume test version in 1992/3 probably, but I think they where based on the MAG20 styling and flat crown and looked a bit naff. I don't think they were released to market until 94 or possibly 95 ?

See the lovely shiny crown and Alu steerer* all the bolts should bt Titanium as well.
f3.jpg

f4.jpg

*unless it's threaded of course, it would need to be steel or the Ti one then and I presume you would see the external butting in the tube.
I also think they only came in 1" size.

Note: remember I have never seen one of these though.

You guys see things I would never have mentioned :shock: The Mag 21 that I bought in 1994 had a relacement for the smaller 1 1/8 crown inside the box. This SL has a 1 1/8 steel treaded tube. Here some pictures from it installed on my Koga

pbpic3407955.jpg

pbpic3407954.jpg

pbpic3407944.jpg

I am going to remove the fork from the Koga and transform it into a mag suitable for of road.
the new parts for Mag21 are so scarse and expensive its stupid to sell this fork. All parts can be used with some modification.

Back