Campagnolo Parts Compatibility Question:

Info about the different Campagnolo freehubs here.
I think there's something strange on that Ebay. It's certainly a 1990s hub as the axle is threaded but the the curved valley freehub spline pattern looks very much like the later 9/10/11 pattern that was introduced sometime after 2000. It's unlikely that your 8 speed sprockets will fit.
Thanks. I'm not going to take a chance. Maybe someday a 1993 36 hole, 8 speed Super Record free hub will miraculously appear somewhere!

Thanks. I'm not going to take a chance. Maybe someday a 1993 36 hole, 8 speed Super Record free hub will miraculously appear somewhere!
Hi, I have a Campag Record 9 speed hub running with an 8 speed cassette. You need a thin spacer behind your largest sprocket and you need a dedicated 9 speed cassette lock ring. I can look out the spacer dimensions if you like?
It works fine but as someone else said there is less contact area on the splines than was designed for.

Good points! I never thought about the steel cogs munching away at the alloy body. That being said, the cogs on a Record 10 speed and a Super Record 11 speed (I have both) are a mix of titanium cogs and steel cogs. My Record 10 speed is approaching 20 years old and the aluminum free hub body is showing little sign of wear and tear from the steel cogs that are on it, and that bike (Colnago Master) has been ridden a lot. My C60 with BORA WTO45 isn't nearly as old, but the Super Record hub that's on it isn't showing any fatigue from the mix of steel and titanium cogs. When it's time to replace the Super Record cassette, I'm going to be using Chorus cassettes ( I have a few) and they're made of steel.
I know this is an old thread but posts on the Internet never die ...
The deeper splines on the campagnolo cassette bodies post 1999 where put in place in part to combat the tendency of sprockets to dig into the alloy of the cassette bearing - however, IME, provided the cassette lockring is torqued to the full 40nm recommended, this problem is not encountered too badly, even when the (much shallower) splines of 8s cassette sprockets are engaged with the alloy body.
Torque transfer is also a factor - the bigger the biggest sprockets, the more risk there is of damage to the cassette body splines because the bigger sprockets exert more torque on the rea wheel via the cassette body which is, of course, of constant diameter ...

Back