Campagnolo compatible - 8 speed deep section wheels?

rjsdavis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello to all

I'm interested in acquiring a set of aero style wheels - something like a Campag Khamsin or Mavic Aksium - a deep V-profile rim with 20/24 spokes or similar. The only problem is, that I want to get these for my son who is running 8 speed Campag Chorus.

All of the Campag based wheels I've seen so far are later based freehubs, which are 9 speed + compatible. I know that they won't accept an 8 speed Exa-drive cassette. Therefore, is there a way that I can get a pair of wheels, that I can put a 8 speed Campag cassette on, so that these can be slipped in and used with the Campag Chorus set-up?

I've thought about trying a Shimano freehub based wheel, with a Shimano 8 speed cassette, but don't know if this would actually work?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Re:

Shimano 7 speed cassettes and campagnolo 8 speed cassettes both use 5.0mm spacing so you could use a 7 speed Shimano cassette on a Shimano 8 speed wheel with campagnolo 8 speed shifters and mechs with no detrimental effect.
Shimano 8 speed uses 4.8mm so can work but needs to be fairly carefully set up. Changing the top jockey wheel to a Shimano offers more float which can help in making up for the 1.4mm difference especially if you set the gears up in the centre gear to maximise the potential of the float.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... s/shimergo

BITD I always used to use Shimano hyperglide cassettes with campa as the shifting was superior.

Re:

I am running a 10 speed hub with 8 matching sprockets. It was an aftermarket, non Campag cassette so I could break it down into individual sprockets. 8 speed spacers. In theory the sprocketscare a touch thin but it works .

Re: Re:

pete_mcc":3lvjcfd6 said:
Shimano 7 speed cassettes and campagnolo 8 speed cassettes both use 5.0mm spacing so you could use a 7 speed Shimano cassette on a Shimano 8 speed wheel with campagnolo 8 speed shifters and mechs with no detrimental effect.
Shimano 8 speed uses 4.8mm so can work but needs to be fairly carefully set up. Changing the top jockey wheel to a Shimano offers more float which can help in making up for the 1.4mm difference especially if you set the gears up in the centre gear to maximise the potential of the float.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... s/shimergo

BITD I always used to use Shimano hyperglide cassettes with campa as the shifting was superior.

Thanks Pete

This sounds interesting. Possibly, the Shimano freehub with 8spd cassette seems to make the most sense. Thanks for the link for the spacing details, that's really helpful. Are you saying that if I went for this solution, that the mech would need to be "reset" on one of the middle sprockets?

I was hoping that if would work that you could change his current Campag hubbed wheels, with whatever new ones I go for, without having to bugger around with adjusting the rear mech everytime!

Re: Re:

mattsccm":8yzcuxov said:
I am running a 10 speed hub with 8 matching sprockets. It was an aftermarket, non Campag cassette so I could break it down into individual sprockets. 8 speed spacers. In theory the sprocketscare a touch thin but it works .

Thanks Matt - is that a 10 speed Campag hub?

Ifso, what 8 speed cassette have you managed to get onto a 10 speed Campag hubs?

Many thanks...

9 speed on have deeper splines (but otherwise the same design as 8 speed) as they switched the freehub body to alloy. Cheaper 9 speed cassettes (like Veloce) are fully separable and the sprockets are the same thickness as 8. Essentially if you re-assemble with the 8 speed spacers you should be OK.

8 speed cassettes fully fit on 9/10/11 wheels but don't be tempted to use them as they will cut their way into the alloy body.

I have a set of 8 speed ventos - 1995 model I think. 8 speed campag freehub body. So they do exist :)

Re:

i know gipiemme tecno 416 uses 8 speed campagnolo although they did make them with shimano freehubs too.

hamster":3vdbe2qf said:
9 speed on have deeper splines (but otherwise the same design as 8 speed) as they switched the freehub body to alloy. Cheaper 9 speed cassettes (like Veloce) are fully separable and the sprockets are the same thickness as 8. Essentially if you re-assemble with the 8 speed spacers you should be OK.

Is this correct Hamster? I had thought an 8 speed Exa-Drive freehub/cassette, was completely different from all 9 spd + freehubs that followed (Ultradrive and so on) - and that the cassette splines were incompatible as a result?

foz":37c7c5gw said:
I have a set of 8 speed ventos - 1995 model I think. 8 speed campag freehub body. So they do exist :)

Thanks Foz - pls do PM me some pics and prices etc to have a look at...

Back