Campag Rear Derailleur 9s and 10s?

Meejoir

Retro Guru
Just after a bit of advice.

Having had a pretty grim accident yesterday in which my bike and I parted company at 25mph and had a lovely trip to A&E in which they CT scanned my liver for handlebar damage and then scrubbed the gravel out of my road rash with a spiky Brillo pad and surgical disinfectant (a pain which nobody should ever have to suffer).

Anyway, worse luck, I've totally buggered up my rear mech. It's a 9s Campag long cage, and I don't think it can be bent back - although I've not tried yet. I've had a quick look around and they're hard to pick up at a reasonable price (I think I got lucky with this one at some point).

My options would be greatly improved if I could use 10s medium or long cage Veloce or Centaur (it's for a triple chainset). Does anyone know if I could use a 10s rear mech with 9s shifters?

Cheers.

It depends on the age of your mech / system.

Pre-2001 9 speed (no number of gears on the shifters), mech has a b-tension screw like Shimano is not compatible. Normally the long cage mech is 'Racing T' although I have seen some badged as Mirage and Veloce too.

Post-2001 all 9 and 10 speed is interchangeable.

Apparently they're approx 1999 (according to the guy I bought them from) but labelled 9 speed? Here they are.

Attachments

• Record 9s.JPG
    Record 9s.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 642
No, they are 2001 or later, assuming they are not some kind of frankenstein of a later body. 1999 Record did have carbon blades as an option IIRC, but not the speeds on the body:
s-l225.jpg

What was your rear mech like? Did it have the big knuckle by the top jockey with no B-tension screw (2001 or later)?

Anyway, it's all in the catalogue pages of Retrobike.

The other issue you may have is the reduced internal width of the 10s rear mech.
There's a 0.4mm difference which might mean the 9s chain rubs against the plates, I had this problem when I used a 9s mech on 8s transmission so I had to move to a 9s chain.

Mark.

Re:

a mate has a 10 speed chorus triple rear mech, in silver if youre interested.
I've no idea on price and he's no retro guru - it was on a bike he bought and I put him a short arm mech on his bike as its only a double.

I can ask if youre interested, as he's gonna ebay it

Re:

My Record levers were pristine condition until yesterday - they've taken a fair scraping along the Tarmac. They still click nicely though.

If you find out how much he wants for his rear mech that'd be great Pigman. Then I can see if my wife will release funds! (You know how it is!)

Cheers for the advice guys.

Re:

he reckons £30. He also asks if you need a front mech and says that's Record
I'll leave it with you, no pressure, let me know if you want to take it further and I'll put you in touch.

Back