campag bb shell stuck, help !

bm0p700f":128vld4n said:
LGF's thread is very useful. Never found a kettle to be very useful in getting BB's out. A very long lever helps and well as a M8x1mm bolt to hold the tool in place.

+1 An extra big quality adjustable wrench and sometimes a few feet of scaffold pole over the end, some 'gentle' persuasion and it will always come out. Just make sure you check the thread direction first and the frame is properly secured and protected.

Mavic chainsets used ISO BB axles IIRC so should be able to get one the right length.

For really stuck ones we cut through the BB lengthwise, removed the cups, had it brazed together then re-tapped the threads. Interestingly we also did this for BB's with knackered threads BITD. Much easier now with those frame saver BB systems LOL.

Shaun

Midlife":3hioo9uq said:
Mavic chainsets used ISO BB axles IIRC so should be able to get one the right length.

For really stuck ones we cut through the BB lengthwise, removed the cups, had it brazed together then re-tapped the threads. Interestingly we also did this for BB's with knackered threads BITD. Much easier now with those frame saver BB systems LOL.

Shaun

:shock: :shock:

Hmmmm. maybe I'll leave it be then! :LOL: :LOL:

Those frame saver bbs were made by Mavic too IIRC. I'll hold off looking for a 175mm+ 631 'starfish' chainset this month. Have some NOS Wolber rims to pay for, along with frame stickers and a cheap 'mates rates' paint job on another frame. Oh, and this Christmas thingy :roll:
Really looking forward to it TBH, as I hope to get some miles in :LOL: :LOL:

mike

I'd have said that cutting and brazing the BB way too drastic in a case like this.

Best bet if all tooling / clamping options as discussed above fail, whilst being a bit long winded & inclined to make you swear, is a pad-saw.

Cut a small section cross-wise relative to the BB shell out of the cup, put a cut across the width of the cup at 180 deg from that section, use a cold chisel from inside the shell to free the narrow section, collapse the remains of the cup in on itself.

Chase the BB threads, face the shell & job done.

Takes a while but no framebuilder costs, no paint job - just a lot of elbow-work. You need to take care not to dig too deep into the BB threads but if it's going to be chased afterwards, even that isn't a massive issue.

We've done a fair few this way. You need good quality pad-saw blades though ... the cups are pretty hard.

It might take 'til Xmas but at least you'll be able to afford the mince pies :)

Back