Buckingham Pallets

Thank you. I know what you mean about the regular flimsy garden shed. I'm not sure building with pallets makes for the most efficient use of a small space, but any would-be burglar is going to have to get through about a foot of wall (pallet, insulation, 2x layer of OSB (internally and externally) and then pallet plank cladding externally).

Following this one

Thank you. I know what you mean about the regular flimsy garden shed. I'm not sure building with pallets makes for the most efficient use of a small space, but any would-be burglar is going to have to get through about a foot of wall (pallet, insulation, 2x layer of OSB (internally and externally) and then pallet plank cladding externally).
no thicker than a single skin brick wall with insulation though. My head won't let me do this with pallets though, I'd want to break them down and make frames and stuff. I can't help it, but lucky for me my wife agrees.....

I'd be the same, methodically taking them to pieces, cleaning them up and building a frame, then cladding with them - which is absolutely the antithesis of what is being achieved here. Really interested to watch how this develops, it looks like a fab project.

Will the coke can fish scales weather with time?

Well, my thinking was that pallets provide ready-made section of wall. The only problem is that the space I had to work in wasn't neatly pallet-sized.

To backtrack a bit, here are a couple of photos I put in videojetman's original thread, showing the build "process", haphazard as it was 😁.

The sleepers laid down as foundations were placed on some large blocks of slate and I used rubble from the demolished flower beds to create a rough floor. I then put the salvaged 80m insulation on top of that and the salvaged ply on top of that. Not exactly textbook but should be dry and warm.

The skip opposite our house, while our neighbour had her house refurbished, yielded approximately six full boards of OSB, two sheets of ply and enough insulation to cover the floor (albeit all of this was in lots of ragged sections). The window and corrugated tin sheeting were given to me by a builder friend.

Not sure how the recycled fishscales will weather. Not even sure which way round to use them. Silver side or beer label outwards? Or alternating rows?

I have decided not to run power out to the shed but to invest in a Festool portable power station (which I can charge indoors from our existing solar panels and I can also use for other work).

It's been such a wet summer that this has taken me way longer than I hoped. Still waiting for a few of the scavenged bits to dry out before finishing, but nearly there.
PXL_20241002_152326636.jpg PXL_20241004_150358575.jpg PXL_20241004_150415789.jpg PXL_20241004_153258598.jpg PXL_20241002_152401481.jpg

Back