BT Openreach

rogerthecat":3m710cug said:
:x Neither open or reaching out to their customers.
Rude, obnoxious and incompetent.
No accountability, a monopoly with no customer service.
and breathe....

Is it just me?
No, not just you...
We moved in Feb and needed a new phone line.
Three cancelled appointments and over 10 hours :shock: on the phone to Openreach, one of their "engineers" turns up at 8 am, still pissed from the night before. Claims he's just there to fit a phone socket. I produce letter showing he's there to fit a new line, and he goes off in his Van to check the lines down the road, never to return... :roll:

Neil":33qkjtyn said:
Drencrom":33qkjtyn said:
It's one of the white Sky+ boxes, about 3 years old. Might just go for the HD box as a freebie upgrade to replace it.
Well if you can get a freebie upgrade, why not...

Just thought I'd mention that many of the older Sky+ boxes can be reasonably easily fixed, if the problem is related to the hard disk (although you have to be a bit careful, when connecting the disk to a computer - "special" FAT-32 filesystem, so you can't use normal tools).

If I have no joy I'll bear that in mind, cheers Neil!

Drencrom":218c5c6g said:
Today I have to:

1. Sort out car insurance renewal before I pass the point of no return tomorrow. £200 increase this year for no reason apart from 'market fluctuations'. Ho-hum.

2. Sort out breakdown cover, as above.

3. Arrange a new Sky+ box as the current one is on the blink.

4. Sort out a few 'issues' with my mobile provider and their interesting invoices.

Call-centre joy awaits! Time to get the kettle on, grab some biccies, load up the solitaire and listen to the lovely muzak while on hold.

I would shop around for insurance, get a few quotes and call your firm to see if they will match.

Many bank accounts include breakdown cover, or find out how much your insurance company charges for it. If not, Green Flag always have offers on.

Are you still subscribed to Sky? In which case aren't you covered for free repair/replacement?

Mobile deals are a minefield, looking for a new one myself.

Good luck anyway! :)

highlandsflyer":k6eivoi7 said:
I would shop around for insurance, get a few quotes and call your firm to see if they will match.

Many bank accounts include breakdown cover, or find out how much your insurance company charges for it. If not, Green Flag always have offers on.

Are you still subscribed to Sky? In which case aren't you covered for free repair/replacement?

Mobile deals are a minefield, looking for a new one myself.

Good luck anyway! :)

You must have read my mind!

I shopped around for the insurance, then phoned up the current insurers to cancel the policy and asked if they fancied matching the cheapest quote. And they did, which was a result!

Green Flag were the cheapest for breakdown cover, and they're doing 'Buy 1 Get 1 Free' on personal breakdown cover, so the other half has cover for whatever vehicle she's travelling in now as well. Along with saving £70. Another result!

A Sky+ HD box is arriving next week for free. I'm happy with that.

Got an HTC Desire HD for free as an apology for the mobile issues I've been experiencing. £25 a month all-in, so that'll do.

Happy with my afternoons work!

highlandsflyer":2oflkpdd said:
Normally, Sky don't do that - least not officially.

They normally offer a fixed-fee service call - last time I checked, something like £65.

That said, if you ring them, tell them you've got a problem, they tell you about their engineer call-out costs, you say you've paid them enough, and say you want to cancel your subscription, I suspect you may get it done for free, or even a better deal - like has happened, here.

Neil":1erlaz9g said:
highlandsflyer":1erlaz9g said:
Normally, Sky don't do that - least not officially.

They normally offer a fixed-fee service call - last time I checked, something like £65.

That said, if you ring them, tell them you've got a problem, they tell you about their engineer call-out costs, you say you've paid them enough, and say you want to cancel your subscription, I suspect you may get it done for free, or even a better deal - like has happened, here.

OK, cheers for the info. I remember several times trying to cancel Sky and being given free six months, etc. so what you say rings very true. Cancelled them in the end, just don't watch enough TV in this house, well not that cannot be found online.

:)

Glad you got all your bits and bobs sorted out, hopefully you didn't miss any good weather being stuck doing it!

Back