Brooks saddles and sit bone question.

Here’s a pick of a Swift: my sit one divots appear to be about 95 mmm. The edges of these drop off pretty quickly: you might find a B17 more forgiving.

IMG_1212.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpeg
    IMG_1212.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 1
Apologies if teaching you to suck eggs but also make sure you’ve seen a picture of the underside of a used Brooks so you can see how much the adjustment bolt has been used.
A valid point…most eBay sellers put up a photo of the underneath of a Brooks saddle…if they don’t I forget that saddle.

I have attached a couple of photos of the Swift I am bidding on.

Attachments

• IMG_5766.jpeg
    IMG_5766.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5765.jpeg
    IMG_5765.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 7
Or that your sit bones will sit nearer the edge of the saddle where it is less pliable. Only one real way to find out though.

true. I have a Black Swift Ti that I’m swapping for a B17: How about I send it to you, try it, if you like them, you have the option to buy it, or send it back and get a brown one?
Ok! I will send you a pm shortly…be a bake off between a brown Swift with steel rails and a black Swift with Ti rails…😹.. I won the auction at £51.

That sounds like a bit of a bargain. Try it out and then if you want to corner the market or a save a few grams you could go black Ti.

As a kid I had a B17 on my track bike which I used for my paper delivery round. Of coarse one day it pi55ed down and I must have got on and off the bike 20 or 30 times so the saddle was waterlogged but after that it fitted me perfectly. :)
About 10 years ago I was given a dried out Books Profesional, after soaking the underside with "Neats Foot Oil" and using heated Nivea Cream for the top I went for a ride _____ it was torture so I put it away for about 7 years.
I thought I'd try again with the saddle so I left it completely submerged with a seat pin attached in a bucket of water for about 30 minutes. The leather was very pliable (even by hand) so after I quick shake off I refitted it and went for a ride for about 30 minutes.
The result is that it is now my most comfortable saddle and lives on my tourer. Only the weight stops me fitting more Brooks saddles to others in the fleet.
There's lots of info about "breaking in" these saddles elsewhere on the net, including attacking with a steak hammer:rolleyes:.
My advice would be to not over think it, fit it, go for a ride note where it hurts / rubs and adjust accordingly.
Hope this helps.

Back