British Steel

I know there's nothing wrong with a Yates there were quite a few in the Yorkshire Mountain Bike Club that I used to ride with:) and he was also nearer to where I live. it was probably going to be a Yates frame for me too but when chas did his version of MBA Ultimate that was the frame for me

panny":36kxmsm7 said:
I am right in thinking you knew of 4 others including the one you own (I'm normally on here in the middle of the night when I can't sleep and I could have missed read some of the posts lol) I will try and find some old photos of it when I first set it up and with a bit of luck 1 with another Roberts

There were he thought 12. including the prototype, 4 known , mine included, prototype long gone.

Ive seen 3 of the four, and thought this might have been the one I haven't seen,

so given the tubeset, im hoping this is another, Yes...

And special at that.

panny":3s3wuhtt said:
I know there's nothing wrong with a Yates there were quite a few in the Yorkshire Mountain Bike Club that I used to ride with:) and he was also nearer to where I live. it was probably going to be a Yates frame for me too but when chas did his version of MBA Ultimate that was the frame for me
Tough choice indeed but you probably made the best one after all these years. I wasn't lucky enough to own either back in the day (I had to put up with my Zinn :))!

It would be interesting to see how the two e-stays compare in riding style.

I remember when I got the frame I had to ring chas because I got some of the parts from him as well( IRD seat post, campag wheels rear mec and shifters) and one of the shifters was missing and he told me that the frame and paint work had drawn a lot of attention in the shop: ) only the shifters and the seat post remain on the bike : (

Giom6":30vh6fon said:
panny":30vh6fon said:
Tough choice indeed but you probably made the best one after all these years. I wasn't lucky enough to own either back in the day (I had to put up with my Zinn :))!

It would be interesting to see how the two e-stays compare in riding style.

Agreed, the weight difference interests me too.

LOL put up with my Zinn another cool bike then and now, the list of bikes you guys have is amazing remember most of them well any one of these would have been on most people's wish list at the time and yes I realise I'm very lucky to have the bike I have but it is just my one and only every day mountain bike.as for weight a don't think there will be much difference in these bikes probably the bits on them would make more difference when I built up mine I put on the best or lightest I could afford at the time I changed the wheels when I made a mess or my rear wheel changed rear mech for a even older ultegra 600, Scott SE to SRAM 9.0 and bar ends to some profile for a slightly longer reach (found my old syncross in my shed since finding this site : )

Re:

Not sure if this has been posted up before, but found this in an MBI magazine from 1994. I would love to have one but not sure if they ever went into production.

Attachments

• Saracen_F1.JPG
    Saracen_F1.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 485
Got some Zinn guff today.

IMAGE_E05A25F4-D864-4F88-9B49-9BB55AAC1F5F.JPG

IMAGE_1EFDEA24-8A2B-4193-BCB9-C145AA7B0F98.JPG

IMAGE_81E03AA1-655A-4D7E-A268-3A1878481188.JPG

IMAGE_C0477364-5EFA-4B31-9A69-0FA956F9A3BB.JPG

IhBoOq-P60xPSNdss5V6oaDXmFGde0sGSG9Ta_DQnME=w958-h493-no

And a NOS headset and some new cable rollers for the bike.
IMAGE_2C28B618-BE77-41D8-81DA-62B0D806C719.JPG

Back