Brands we never see on RB?

Re:

I would add to brands we never see: brands we rarely see -

Bill Philbrook - unheard of by most but leading builder of the finest frames
Hobbs of Barbican - early innovator of fine lugs and bright colours
Roberts/Geoff Roberts - innovators, perfectionists, builders to professionals and Olympians alike, ran pro team
Allin - Peter Cobb, superb largely forgotten builder, famous professional son
Higgins - engineers above all
Major Brothers - touring bicycle innovators - largely forgotten
Geoffrey Butler - very famous shop, pro team, their best frames built by Roberts & Shrubb
Cliff Shrubb - record breaking bike builder
Ron Cooper - Like Bill Philbrook (whom he admired) a leading builder

Rk.

N.B mind you these makes might date me !!!
I should have added this one a while ago but I did a Geoffrey Butler a few years ago (it's in my signature below), I have another that's not in my signature but still to be done.

There's also a couple of unusalish European ones in my signature:

Francesco Moser
Jan Jansen
Navarro
Lucasa
Meral
Lejeunne

And dear to me because he was my local Frame builder, Ken James which I have two of.

Not all have threads unfortunately which is something I should really get round to

I should have added this one a while ago but I did a Geoffrey Butler a few years ago (it's in my signature below), I have another that's not in my signature but still to be done.

There's also a couple of unusalish European ones in my signature:

Francesco Moser
Jan Jansen
Navarro
Lucasa
Meral
Lejeunne

And dear to me because he was my local Frame builder, Ken James which I have two of.

Not all have threads unfortunately which is something I should really get round to
I was just going to post Ken James! Used to spend a lot of my school lunchbreaks lurking in his little shop....for years I've seen non and then two in the last few months...one for sale on Facebook that was like new and one outside a supermarket that had how can we say signs of use and patina!
Would love to see yours....

I was just going to post Ken James! Used to spend a lot of my school lunchbreaks lurking in his little shop....for years I've seen non and then two in the last few months...one for sale on Facebook that was like new and one outside a supermarket that had how can we say signs of use and patina!
Would love to see yours....
One's linked in my signature

Here for ease of clicking https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...home-honest-it-did-late-80s-ken-james.423856/

The other I've had for more years than I care to admit and although it won;t be the one you saw outside a supermarket it's certainly carrying all its battle scars so I should really get round to rebuilding it at some point.

Not built by but sold under the name of:-
R E BUCK Elder
Graham Buck Son of above
Velosport Sold from a shop in Anglia Square Norwich
I also happen to have examples of all these frames.
Les Bryant of Norwich. Think they were Holdsworth origin. Don't know if he was connected to a particular team - maybe EACC or NABC.

Not built by but sold under the name of:-
R E BUCK Elder
Graham Buck Son of above
Velosport Sold from a shop in Anglia Square Norwich
I also happen to have examples of all these frames.
Was it Steve Lawrence the National Road Race Champion that rode a Buck? I remember it from photos in Cycling BITD.

I'm from Canada so most of these British and European brands are pretty novel to me. I mean we had loads of mass market Peugeots, Raleighs, and some Motobecan's. What I drooled over in the bike shops tended to be Japanese manufactured bikes based on American / Canadian designs.

Norco
Nishiki
Kuwahara
Apollo
Sekai
Centurion

Then there were the few Canadian made bikes

CCM
Sekine

Someone should put a list together... Perhaps with any bio they know otherwise this stuff will be lost forever!!

Back