Brands we never see on RB?

Is van tuyl a genuine manufacturer's brand or is it the in-house label for Race Scene at Barnsley?
I knew someone who rode one and it just looked like a generic shop aluminum frame
It was a genuine manufacturer from 1980 when Gijs Van Tuyl set up his own shop and brand albeit drawing on foreign builders for some of the work - a bit like Concorde ;-)

He sold the brand in 2004.

Jon Spooner, Les Rigden, Leach Marathon, Hawkes, E.G Bates.
My EG Bates ok some photos no longer exist

I have seen several Koga Miyatas this year alone:

Haven't seen another SHEFFIELD LANGSETT apart from my old thing.

Not seen any here but I have seen a couple for sale on ebay in the last few years, both fully restored.. one was being sold by a bike shop in Rotherham, it was nice but they'd tried to hand pinstripe around the edge of the lugs which was shockingly bad, ruined the entire build.

Remember this one on Classic Lighweights ?

1661247334502.png

Langsett Cycles bought it back from Eric Sayliss (they've acquired a few other Sheff Langsetts over the years) just before he died.. they had it on display in the window for a few months, when they got ram-raided for the umpteenth time it was taken with the rest of their stock..

Keep your eyes pealed!

Thanks for this Betsy. Yes, I've seen those. None of the vintage of mine though. I offered it to Langsett but they declined. Perhaps it's a wee bit "over restored" for some.

In the virally induced catatonic state I have been in since Boxing Day I have occasionally found my thoughts actually veering towards cycling in all its facets. One theme that popped up was that of frame and bike brands that, despite being seemingly popular in their day, have not (in my memory anyway) appeared on RB. I'm going to list some of them below. Many were frequent advertisers in Cycling and Sporting Cyclist magazines so there should be a reasonable number of their bikes 'out there' somewhere.

Clifton Cycles of Birkenhead. Many local club cyclists rode them
Sid Mottram, Leicester. Lots of ads in SC.
Henry Holmes of Sheffield and Rotherham. I think there were possibly 3 shops at one time and they had a team of independents racing for them
Temple Cycles of York. Again ran a team of independents with some well known names amongst them.
Uppadine of Doncaster. Frequent ads in SC and a big shop.
Fred Dean. Ran an independent team for many years.
Cyril Wren, Kingston-on-Thames. Frequent advertiser in SC offering re-sprays etc.
Mal Rees. Ridden by many top riders BITD.
Johnny Kay, Lancashire. Advertised 6 3/4 lb frames in the small ads in Cycling.
Wilsons of Birmingham. Lots of ads in SC for frames and clothing and a team of successful independents.

I am sure there are many more - I can think of several - so does anyone else have any names to add?
Not built by but sold under the name of:-
R E BUCK Elder
Graham Buck Son of above
Velosport Sold from a shop in Anglia Square Norwich
I also happen to have examples of all these frames.

Back