Brake & Gear Cable - where do you get yours from?

Monkeeee01

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I need x1 brake cable Inner and outer and a set of x2 gear inner and outers to be able to finish my current project.

Which brand/model do you all go for? Do you buy the Shimano specific MTB stuff or do you buy the bits individually you need from Ebay or Amazon?

If anyone is kind enough to share a link or something I'd be super grateful.

Thanks in advance

Gaz

i buy all mine from either ebay or aliexpress.

i just use all the standard stuff not the stupidly expensive shimano stuff.

yes it may take a long time to arrive and its not as good quality but is there really a difference ?

i buy all mine from either ebay or aliexpress.

i just use all the standard stuff not the stupidly expensive shimano stuff.

yes it may take a long time to arrive and its not as good quality but is there really a difference ?
That's my question really, is there any difference?

I can buy just 1 brake cable inner and outer much cheaper but will it last (I mean steel cable is steel cable right?)

on both my commuter and my retro build i have made sure that the brake cables are covered completely from lever to v-brakes so water cannot get in to start corrosion.

i have done the same with the gear cable on my commuter.

to be honest as long as your bike is kept in a shed or garage overnight then cables should last a long time.

but then cable kits are quite cheap on aliexpress that its more of a throwaway item.

I buy mine from eBay usually, Jagwire (L-EX/C-EX) outers, there's a variety of colours available, and always stainless steel inners (galvanised inners don't seem to last long before going crusty in my experience).
The complete kits are pretty good & include end ferrules & the little rubber donut things.

I buy mine from eBay usually, Jagwire (L-EX/C-EX) outers, there's a variety of colours available, and always stainless steel inners (galvanised inners don't seem to last long before going crusty in my experience).
The complete kits are pretty good & include end ferrules & the little rubber donut things.
Thank you

Latest posts

Back