Boys 20" mtb bike parts

konaman1

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Picked up a GT Stomper 20" mtb for my 7 yr old son yesterday. l won it on the bay for a good price but had to do a 150 mile round trip in order to get it. l was initially after an lslabike but couldn't find one close enough. But the spec of the GT seemed quite good, lightweight alloy frame with low stand over, 1"1/8 ahead forks/stem, alloy parts etc..

Bearing in mind the GT has a list price of over £200 l thought it should be comparable in weight to an lslabike rather than a Halfrauds special, so l was slightly dismayed when l picked it up to find it weighed nearly 30lbs on my digital scale!

The main culprits seem to be the 2.4 tyres, steel handlebar, solid wheel axles with steel nuts rather than qr's, steel v brakes and the massively heavy Suntour forks.

l spent an hour yesterday cutting down a spare alloy handle bar, fitting a kcnc stem and changing the tyres to lighter bmx style 1.75. This has shed quite a bit of weight so it now weighs 26lb.

l'd really like to put rigid forks on it as the Suntours are next to useless and weigh 4lbs does any one know where l could get some for a reasonable price?

l'd also like to change the wheels for something 20" with hollow qr axles alloy rims and a freewheel as it has a screw on cassette at the mo.

Any help much obliged :)

I assume the axle length are the same as MTB so any hub should do to rebuild (measure it though).

Though 20" is that not BMX size. So should be plenty of choice, but weights not everything and I would just let him ride that and change stuff as he complains :LOL:

I've done exactly the same on my boys Carrera. They looked like just what i was after but once arrive it weighted a ton. A set of cut down Club roost bars, Tran X stem, USE seat post and the saddle of his old Scott 14' has improved it no end. I'm after some forks now as its go some sus on it but they aint any good and again weigh a ton!

Cool cheers guys some good info there. :)

Loving those chopped mani's, l car booted a knackered set of these last year before l joined this site Doh!

Thought about the BMX wheels but the rear is not designed to be run with a cassette and most of the BMX forks l found did not have canti mounts or were only 1" steerer. There is probably a real untapped market here for someone handy with a welding torch.

Hi,

Since I have a Mini 20" Zaskar I make you the question since you have mentioned the Wheels.

Are the lengh of the Hubs(Frame) 110 and 135mm or the BMX size with Nuts as you say?

If so it will be a problem, I can tell you that I had to buy a £100 wheelset due to that 110 135mm size, for you could be an option to use the Rims but if its a BMX size dont think you can use normal Hubs!

Regarding the Fork I will thank the guys for the Idea and links because they really made me think about changing the Fork or Upgrading the fork on Mine ;)

Back