Bottom of the barrel narrow wide chain rings

W7Ford

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Has anyone tried one of the ultra cheap narrow wide chain rings that have flooded ebay? I want to chuck something a few teeth larger on a pub type bike, but reluctant to spend £40+ on a race face or similar for a bike that cost not much more than that in total.

1718553322255.png

I've got 1 on my univega,didn't buy the super cheap 1 but wasn't overly expensive, anodising is good, light weight obviously will not be same quality as say midfle burn or shimano xtr etc, but definitely value for money,

Attachments

• 20240522_160907.jpg
    20240522_160907.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 5
I think I asked this question a while back and the general consensus was the cheaper ones are not actually that bad and worth using for the price Vs the more expensive ones. I went middle ground on a chainset and bought some UK made ones and they were/are decent. Also have some of the cheap ones for family member bikes which are much lower use and they've been fine too.

I’ve used a couple of these on assorted things. They’re fine.
I imagine they’ll wear a bit faster? But even if they do, you can get 4 of these for the cost of a proper chainring.

These Deckas rings have about 300 miles each of urban riding with no issue. Can’t say what crunchy shifts or mudding will do as I go easy on my gears.

Attachments

• IMG_8488.jpeg
    IMG_8488.jpeg
    616.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8489.jpeg
    IMG_8489.jpeg
    893.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Has anyone tried one of the ultra cheap narrow wide chain rings that have flooded ebay? I want to chuck something a few teeth larger on a pub type bike, but reluctant to spend £40+ on a race face or similar for a bike that cost not much more than that in total.

View attachment 860379
Yes I have this exact model from Amazon, it was £15? It’s been on my 1x 10 zee set up on by Rock springs for maybe 3 years? I can’t say it’s done tons of mileage so can’t comment on wear but it’s been faultless for me

nothing wrong with them.

i have brought loads of these for my daily commuter and my off road MTB.

they tend to wear abit quicker but for the bargain price that you can buy them for its not really a problem.

alot cheaper than a race face which you pay for the name and if your not bothered about having snail or something similar on it then you cannot go wrong.

Latest posts

Back