Bottom Brackets - full on expert needed!

Depending on the degree of damage and the thickness of the shell walls, a common cheap fix is to re-tap the shell to Italian thread. That tends to limit your choice of bottom brackets, but the upside is that you tend to see more IT units as cheap remaindered stock.

You'll need to reduce the shell width to 70mm at the same time. Talk to a framebuilder.

The threads don't look that bad but when the bb unscrews itself whilst riding you know it is an issue!

I could do the stool idea, but to be fair it is the rear end of an FSR that is the nice looking bit, would be a bit of a naf stool considering what the complete bike looks like.

Need to chat to a frame builder I agree

And before you ask it is not the S-Works, this is a really neglected Stumpy FSR of the same year that has been paint stripped and rattle canned by the previous owner, and the shock was knackered due to the linkage plates being put on back to front!!

If there's enough thread to screw it in but it works loose, it might be worth trying some PTFE plumber's tape n the cup or a load of blue Loctite. And some BBs have more thread than others, you could look around for a deeper one, there might be healthier threads further in :)

Custom-built front triangle to bolt the back onto? That'd have the added benefit of awesome coolness :)

Yeah, I have another one in a slightly larger size too and had thought it would be cool to get them made into a retro custom tandem! :shock:

I'm going mad here trying to find it but I saw a gadget for this very situation on a sales website recently but I can't remember which one.

I'd see what 17mm ID bearings are out there and look into sanding the threads down to fit the bearings with the closest outer diameter (or see if you can have a sleeve welded to the inside), making it something akin to an old Fat bottom bracket.

Back