Bottom Bracket Screw in Cap Sticking Out

will16

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I have a question for you!
I'm rebuilding a 1988 Peugeot Triathlon Road Bike and have just rebuilt the bottom bracket. When I screwed the end cap in it sticks out and threads are still showing! Is this correct??, I've attached pictures to show what I mean.

Thanks,
Will

I don't think it's correct. There is normally just enough thread sticking out to accomodate the lock-ring, such that they're flush with each other when tightened up.

In theory, as long as the cup isn't touching the crank arm, then you should be OK.

But it sounds as if the axle cone spacing is too wide.

Does it spin OK ? You've not got too many bearings in each side have you (assuming they're loose and not caged).

hi is the bottom bracket spindle round the right way as some time that can effect how the cups go in.
cheers dave

Hi guys, thanks for your ideas so far!

-1988_ben
The bearings are in cages, and it's all the original parts. I'm sure it went back together as it was before. It does spin ok also.

-dave72
When you say spindle, do you mean the axle? If so the longer side of the axle is on the drive side (right)

-Ian Raleigh
Yes the bearings are in cages, but I'm sure they are the way the should be.

I MAY have a photo of the BB before I took it apart, so that will show me what it was like.

Will

Hi guys, looked through some photos and found this one:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Look at the bottom. Its hard to tell, but it foes look like threads are showing and part of the cap is sticking out of the lock nut.

Any ideas??

This latest photo does look a little more reasonable.

So currently, are you sure the cups are pressing against the bearings on each side ?

If you push the bottom bracket axle in and out, and you sure there isn't side to side play ? It's almost as if something is obstructing the non-drive cup and it isn't actually seating the bearings on the axle cones.

If you finger tighten the cup, while turning the BB axle with your other hand, do you feel it tighten against the bearings ?

Back