Bottom bracket removal?

wilkij1975

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all

I'm trying to remove the bb from my 94 Lava Dome and am having some trouble. Basically its stuck and when i tried moving the drive side, the teeth on the ring jus desintegrated. Its an old square taper type, probably the original. Will this come out or am i buggered?

Cheers all

Have you tried using something like Plusgas and leaving it overnight to see if it helps loosen it off?
When you say the teeth disintegrated, are they totally buggered? Or can you still get purchase with the b&b tool?

Just been to the lbs and it would seem that whoever fitted the bb put it on the wrong way ie the drive side bb screwed the wrong way into the non drive side on the frame! He suggested a few ways to shift it but any suggestions welcom.

wilkij1975":nb4wppl1 said:
Just been to the lbs and it would seem that whoever fitted the bb put it on the wrong way ie the drive side bb screwed the wrong way into the non drive side on the frame! He suggested a few ways to shift it but any suggestions welcom.

If thats true it could be bad news as its not possible to do that without knackering the BB threads as they run opposite on each side.

I know. Not happy about it at the moment. He said to try knocking the axle through or maybe heating it.

With "no" serrations for a tool to bite on, may have to resort to the big drill and the bigger hammer! Drill down/around the axle andthen try and knock it out, leaving just the cup(s) in the b/b shell. If the threading has been crossed and knackered anyway at least you don't have to be extra careful.

Well, it worked for me once!

Then maybe a threadless b/b?

1. not all cartridge BB have the threads on the conventional side - your LBS should know that, some have the support cup on the drive side so appear to be 'round the wrong way'

2. you should always undo the cartridge bit first, the support cups disintegrate - see my guide on how:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ight=guide

3_shimano_bb_removal_part_three_902.jpg

2_shimano_bb_removal_part_two_150.jpg

1_shimano_bb_removal_part_one_185.jpg

To add an additional support, use a g clamp or similar to hold the tool in place as they tend to "pop" out. Once clamped, you can tug away and get the bb out.

I had one that was properly installed and greased. soaked it (an entire tin) in wd-40 overnight. I was not seized, just 'king tight.

also if the bb is original, the main body will come out with the left hand cup, unlike most shimano bb's, where it will come out with the rh side

Back