Bottom bracket removal?

Ok. So if its the original and the cartridge is on the non drive (left side) what way would i turn it? I need some leaverage like in the pic too!

yup what LGF said
get a m8 x1mm pitch bolt and hold the b/b tool in tight with it

if that fails if its an older b/b they can be dis-assembled to leave
the shell in place then careful cutting with a dremel and cutting disc
will get the remains out

sometimes in this situation it pays to sit and think a bit first

Right, done a bit of digging and checking the spec and the original BB was a Shimano LP 20 which as far as I can find on the net, went in with the cartridge on the left (non drive side?) as mattbrown said.

So if this is the case and to help me not turn it the wrong way, am I right in assuming that I need to undo it by turning anti clockwise?

wilkij1975":31c46i4l said:
Shimano LP 20...

...am I right in assuming that I need to undo it by turning anti clockwise?
Correct.

All the threaded bottom bracket standards have a conventional (right hand) thread on the non-drive side. It's only on the drive side you have to worry about the direction: left hand thread for BSC and Swiss, right hand thread for French and Italian.

If you don't have a vice to hold the tool in, or a long lever, you can use a hammer on the end of the spanner you do have.

Breaking the adhesion is the main thing with a BB thread, once it has moved that fraction of a mm, it is usually quite easy to remove.

You soaked it through overnight already I presume.

:)

No I didn't soak it. Its the first time I have tried to remove one so didn't really think about soaking it. I will before I try again. Is WD40 the best to use?

LAST OPTION: Do like me, take it to a frame builder, hand over £20 and a packet of choccy Hobnobs and walk away. Do NOT watch how they'll remove it.

WD40 isn't really penetrating oil, I have some PB Blaster but I don't know where you can get it here. PlusGas should be easy to come by. :)

Cheers Highland i'll have a look for that.

The engineers where I work have a tool that they say could punch the axle out if I can't get it moving. Hopefully that wouldn't damage the frame.

Latest posts

Back