Boot sale find benotto 2500: gravelly buildy thingy

Bluing is essentially controlled corrosion, and in no time it'll lead to sporadic uncontrolled corrosion as you handle the frame and expose it to the elements.

Wax is the same story, you'll spend day in day out reapplying and cleaning in-between reapplies, it just won't protect the frame long term.

I've got frames where I have had bare metal spots, which have corroded. I always sand down and repaint with engine enamel the bare spots.

I'd probably go ratty, sand down the bad rust spots and treat them, then use a matching yellow enamel and brush it on the exposed bits, it'll look ratty but it'll protect it and you get to mostly keep the paint there.

So what would be the cheapest, easiest option that isn’t taking a rattle can to the frame?
take a rattle can to it.
it gets bad mouthed but it can and does work out fine if you prepare.

you could also brush it out with rustoleum (better version of hammerite). it's self leveling and direct to bare metal application, they also do it in a spray paint.

we rollered a car in it, it came out surprisingly well.

take a rattle can to it.
it gets bad mouthed but it can and does work out fine if you prepare.

you could also brush it out with rustoleum (better version of hammerite). it's self leveling and direct to bare metal application, they also do it in a spray paint.

we rollered a car in it, it came out surprisingly well.
Car or the roller? Both?

So what would be the cheapest, easiest option that isn’t taking a rattle can to the frame?
Buy cheap, buy twice! Have you tried riding the bike yet? If not, get it into a fit condition to test ride, as cheaply as you like, and that will give you an idea of how much time and money is worth investing in this. If you then decide that it's a keeper and a rider, get it powder coated. It will cost more than a rattle can paint job but it will look good for longer and, of course, protect the frame for longer. Around my way, blasting and powder coating will cost around £150 (incl. VAT) but the south east tends to be pricier for everything. You might find a better deal wherever you are. When I tried rattle can spraying a bike, it cost about £70 all in, but it didn't last half as long as a good powder coat. Ultimately, the frame is the core of the bike and it's better to take good care of a good frame than go cheap on that while buying expensive components to hang on it.

Grit blast/Powder coat is the way to go IMO. I've had spay and PC jobs and it's impossible to tell them apart. Round here I've had the job done, including blasting, for around £50.

• Wow
Reactions: Woz
Back