Boot sale find benotto 2500: gravelly buildy thingy

Portacatena needs the 2 holes in the dropout. Hopeless idea really, the downtube levers were a pain as well...

I need to research where I found that name as it referenced the Campagnolo portacatena on the same page which is a different thing. I don’t usually forget stuff once I’ve read it, will be in one of my frame building books or some obscure part of the web! Sorry it lead you to the old lady bra pages!

Those little pegs are handy though I’ve only used them in the workshop not at the side of the road. Think it points to your frame being of reasonable quality.

Portacatena Campagnolo dropouts launched Milan 1977 show and arrived on frames 1978-79.lasted about 3-5 years until mid 80's while frame builders ran down stock and the usual short dropouts took over.

Looks like a neat idea.

It basically a nail head. Catching up on the thread. Debates about ID and how to coat it just got interesting for a 30 quid find. 🤗 :cool: 😍

So far, fully agree with a few posts back about riding it, hanging anything off it, and seeing about bike fit etc. at first.

Did you ride it a bit when you got it or go into overdrive wrenching mode from the gun fire?

It basically a nail head. Catching up on the thread. Debates about ID and how to coat it just got interesting for a 30 quid find. 🤗 :cool: 😍

So far, fully agree with a few posts back about riding it, hanging anything off it, and seeing about bike fit etc. at first.

Did you ride it a bit when you got it or go into overdrive wrenching mode from the gun fire?
👍

I gave it to someone to ride it a bit and they said it was good, it’s my size as well. Then I completely dismantled it💪💪🛠🛠🛠

• Love
Reactions: Woz
This isn't a Benotto I'm afraid. I have 7. They all have Benotto (either proud, or recessed in the oval) on the seatstay caps - right down to 800. Lugs aren't right. Fork crown is way off. BB shell isn't a Cinelli. (it is Italian threading though) and under BB guides only came out in very early 80's so this is later. Also Benotto rear drop outs are only stamped on 800 and 1500 models with basic lettering. 2500 and 3000 used Campag, and no winged logo which was never stamped or pantographed anywhere on the frame.
Perhaps it was assembled following the consumption of a particularly strong cured sausage and a few pints of Barolo

I'm sure they just put together whatever stumps of gaspipe they had laying about and scurried off when the bell dinged, Bianca waiting at home with a fresh plate of penne and some freshly soiled pant stockings.

Back