Bontrager Race or Race lite. How to tell the difference?

Yetidh9

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am helping one of my old time riding mates to get his Bontrager up to speed again. It is a 1996 model and bough as a frame only. It has been his from new and it has taking its share of use. Including the un-official Danish DH championship, a number of xc races and weekend after weekends trail time. So it has now been stripped down to the frame.

We are however not sure if it is a Race or Race Lite. He has forgot if it was one or the other... It is in Matallic Purple. But that was an option for both race lite and race... There is no indications on the frame beside the OR on the toptube. But that also goes for both. Frame number says 6593. Could that be of any help? Could seat post ø be of any help?

Hope some of you bontrager fans can help me out.

hollister":3odkue4g said:
if its a '96 and the headtube is externally relieved its a RL , if not its a race

Thanks. Just to be sure. By "relived" you mean that it is mashined (or butted) thinner on the inside or outside? and not a straight tube? Right?

The photo below shows the relieved headtube on my race lite....

The race has a plain headtube like my OR:

If you go on the show us your bonty thread there is a link to a site that shows all the differences in pic,s next to each other.the headtube on my 93 racelite is the same as bens

matthew71":36bj0gv2 said:
If you go on the show us your bonty thread there is a link to a site that shows all the differences in pic,s next to each other.the headtube on my 93 racelite is the same as bens

Will do... but have not made one yet. Still on the lookout for forks and stuff. Got a mag 21 today that should have been 1"... but showed up as 1-1/8". Crappy ebayer....

I hate to ask, but are you sure it's not a privateer. The seat stay is also different - race lite has one in two parts (thick at top , thin at bottom,) privateers and races have a single tube.

I am not sure how to tell the difference between a repainted race and a repainted privateer.

Back