Bleeding Hell 2 - only this time it’s sidewalls…..AN ANSWER

2manyoranges

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
In May I did a big tyre swap on the commuting bikes to take the frankly rubbish WTB 45s Raddlers off the orange RoadRat and put on Schwalbe G-0ne 40s. Better chainstay clearance and great cornering. Some Schwalbe tyres had a reputation for being terrible in the wet during the early 2000s and, in my experience, they have turned that around completely with the great range of tyres they now do. Easy tubeless setup on the TLE carcasses…ah that’s perhaps why TLE stands fo ‘tubeless easy’. That’ll be it…

B U T

After a week the front is settled and dependable. Meanwhile the rear just weeps BUCKETS of tubeless fluid through the sidewall. I had this on a Specialized Butcher tyre on the mmmmBop and never resolved it. It’s awful, since the sealant is flung off the tyre and covers the frame - a bu===r to get off and terrible if it gets onto clothing.

I don’t know what made me do it, but I just decided to spray GT85 on the carcass. I sprayed and wiped it off. Next morning, almost no sealant coming through. Ah ha! So out with the silicone grease and I put a smear of that all the way around the sidewall on one side. Wipe clean. And goodness me, next morning no weeping at all. I think that the silicon presents just enough of a hydrophobic barrier to to stop the weeping .. HURRAH!

Handy to know that the Raddlers aren't up to much, i was considering them as a wider choice, but I'll give them a miss.

By contrast … I’ve gone through 2 sets of Riddlers , and 1 set of Raddlers. They were great until they were worn and starting picking up punctures every ride.

The key was using a thicker sealant. I settled on muc off. The thinner sealants leaked through the sidewalls.

Now on gravelking SK which have lasted longer but aren’t as fast / comfy.

indeed not impressed
centre knobs wear out rather fast
rubber goes papery rather fast
transition from centre knobs to side knobs is weird on tarmac, I just didn't feel able to lean the bike hard. With the G-One All Rounds, with their continuous 'surround' of dimples, the transition from upright to leaning hard is completely smooth and predictable.

1721069926177.png

Sidewall leakage seems common on lightweight tubeless tyres.
As @d8mok says, thicker sealant works better, but as a rule, extra sealant and some more riding and it should settle.

Quality tyre preference can be as personal as saddle choice -
we sell a few shwobbly and conti models where some customers absolutely love them, others think they're a total waste of money!!

Back