Blazing Saddles

Spokesmann":15a2b1v0 said:
A B17 in honey gets my vote, I have one on my '64 Carlton, they break in easier and look simply gorgeous... very different and individual...

The B17 is a classic of any era, i'm going for a B17 Narrow in Honey for my current project (87 Raleigh Randonneur), but i'm going for something a bit more racey on the Dawes. :)

I have Regals on all my bikes bar the MTB which has a Rolls... Great saddles, but a saddle is particular to a person, it's all about the feel, not the look if you want to ride it. I suit San Marco Rolls / Regal saddles nicely, but the San Marco Hoskar really does me damage...

davester1965":21fvelrg said:
... and keep drooling at those gold anodised cassettes that Shimano did back in the 80's.....NOS imported from the capital of bling at about 100 dollars :)

If you mean the 6208 freewheel the gold(ish) ones don't stay gold(ish) for long, I have a couple and they are now a pale bronze at best, and they've barely been used!

On the saddle front, the re-issue turbo's are excellent, though the Turbo logo on the front sides wore off after two rides on mine! Bit of a shame but comfort wise they're the equal of the originals, perhaps not quite as well made though?

Sounds like a nice build you have in mind!

Brooks saddles in the 50s /60s were always dyed dark brown near black. The hideous pale colours shout wrong for the period. When did they start making them?

im looking forward to trying out the 'selle sanmarco concor ' which i believe koga miyata used with their own logo's
stamped on them .not sure might be a bit early for your build .
i have used the rolls buffalo and the turbo and found the comfort about the same 150 miles no probs.

I won't tell you which is more comfy (but, between the Rolls, Concor and Turbo I have a favourite) but, I will tell you what I think looks better on most bikes...

Turbo

Rolls is a similar conservative design but, I find the metal fittings look odd on a race bike IMO
Concor hooked-beak, high-tail contours can also look a bit awkward on some bikes that have horizontal top-tubes
I like them better on sloping top-tube bikes

This is of course, my own opinion but, it is from owning a riding on all the one's I mentioned

I have original and reproductions in both leather and suede of Concor and Turbo and if you were thinking about it, I recommend you do not get a suede version...too grippy

FINNEY1973":2tw75l8v said:
davester1965":2tw75l8v said:
... and keep drooling at those gold anodised cassettes that Shimano did back in the 80's.....NOS imported from the capital of bling at about 100 dollars :)

If you mean the 6208 freewheel the gold(ish) ones don't stay gold(ish) for long, I have a couple and they are now a pale bronze at best, and they've barely been used!

On the saddle front, the re-issue turbo's are excellent, though the Turbo logo on the front sides wore off after two rides on mine! Bit of a shame but comfort wise they're the equal of the originals, perhaps not quite as well made though?

Sounds like a nice build you have in mind!

Could be on the lookout for one of those cassettes then, have just bought a 6207 crankset with what looks like bronze coloured chainrings (biopace).

Narrowed the saddle choice down to 2, a concor or a regal, both were similar in price range £65-£80, then found an absolute bargain, OnOne/PlanetX in Sheffield selling brand new Regals in White with Brass Rivets £45 via their website.....couldn't resist.....so The Regal it is.

Thanks re the nice build, bit of a bonus one this, bought the bike crash damaged as a donor for another project, purely for a pair of Mavic MA40 rims, expected to throw most of the rest in the skip, turns out the frame isn't half as bad as the seller made out (worst case scenario new forks at about £150 custom build) and there's a nice pair of GB Handlebars, a pair of Suntour Cyclone ll derailleurs f&b, an SR seatpost and an SR handlebar stem all of which will clean up nicely to sell on to fund other parts. It's a Win Win in my book :D

Selle Italia Turbo for me on this build! Very comfortable, I had one for about 3-4 years on one of my bikes and loved it. You really can't go wrong with that I don't think.

yeah i thought about suede saddles, saw a nice royal blue one once. then i thought nah ! it would not stay suede for long with my arse upon it . i read both the turbo and the concor[£70] have been re introduced onto the market.

Back