Bit bored of my bikes ending up very similar

Unless you like single speed, I think you are missing out on what was also really happening during this period- suspension !! I like(d) both!

Unless you like single speed, I think you are missing out on what was also really happening during this period- suspension !! I like(d) both!
Full sus?

They generally are quite bad even when new. Had many and always sell them.

Just for thread clarity I’m happy with frames , forks , bars, stems , posts , chainsets selection. I have earlier and later bikes too.

Simply 96-98 there doesn’t seem to much high end groupset options is my question which seems to be the case.

Since you have limited you stuff you'll put on, (no GripShift, slightly lower then XTR, Magura etc..) then that's why they are all the same.
Since you are not riding them, why does it have to be the best stuff?
Use a mix of STX and XT mech and you can get a silver rear mech, or XT, LX STX.
It's not going to alter how well the bike rides...

Hub, scrap the XTR, so many other hubs, for a start RaceFace to match the RaceFace you have already used on the dekerf and all the other RaceFace stuff since you like it to match.

Get out the comfort zone and stick some sachs/SRAM wavey shifters or pipes on there.

Also given disc started to properly emerge in the millions of forms back then, try a disc bike even if it need bolt on adaptors.

You problem is not wanting to go outside of that one vision you have, hence asking.
You just need to do it.

Worst that happens is you are sick a few times as you look at them with vile thoughts and you burn them.

Last edited:
Might have a play with some magura’s and could possibly go disc on one bike I guess which is 98/99.

Hub options may be a good idea. Like I said I’ve got some hadleys for my 97 Zaskar le. We will ignore that my NOS 97 Zaskar have exactly the same wheels already though.

XT or below hold little appeal if I’m honest however snobby that sounds. Only build and keep the stuff I lust after and lower spec stuff I simply don’t. I’ve a few M739 bikes and like it but wouldn’t fit lower to a high end frame

My ‘97 STS 2 came with LX (and XT rear mech) and it was hardly a low end frame.
(Admittedly it was upgraded to XTR, but that’s not the point).

Functionally you won’t get better than what you already have but you admit yourself you rarely ride them. Would never want to ride X-ray grip shift or the wood effect SRAM mechs but they look cool AF.

Get over yourself and get out of your comfort zone or stop moaning.

My ‘97 STS 2 came with LX (and XT rear mech) and it was hardly a low end frame.
(Admittedly it was upgraded to XTR, but that’s not the point).

Functionally you won’t get better than what you already have but you admit yourself you rarely ride them. Would never want to ride X-ray grip shift or the wood effect SRAM mechs but they look cool AF.

Get over yourself and get out of your comfort zone or stop moaning.
Moaning ?

I’m not moaning. I’m asking if I’m missing a build opportunity with group sets of that era.

I'd have another look at Maguras. I ran HS22's for years in the mid 90's when XT v's were launched as you couldn't get hold of them for love or money. Pick up a nice pair, try them and you'll not lose money if you hate them and flip them on.

Once you get used to them they are epic in terms of stopping power, and they aren't necessarily the "on/off" modulation that the trials boys and girls love them for. Hardly needed any maintenance either, which for a retro build is less of a consideration - but for a regular rider in the winter muck of the south downs was a godsend (unless you had a habit of stacking and ripping the hoses out, which I did, and was more than a little inconvenient)

A set of racelines don't have to be lairy yellow (I'm sure I've seen silver) and they are more adjustable than the lower end models. I'd use them on the Zaskar rather than your steel bikes and always with a brace as they can flex the seatstays (visible even with a brace!)

Problem with the emergent disc brakes of the mid 90's is they were just clunky massive things (though Formula were quite smart IIRC) - and no one really wants to bolt a rear disc mount onto the seatstay of a boutique steel frame... AMP did disc brakes too, so why not an F1 fork on the steel frame with their disc.

From that era, apart from Shimano, at the higher end for mechs and shifters you had Sachs Quarz/Plasma and Sram ESP. So if you hate Gripshift and want matching mechs/shifters you're pretty much stuck with XT/XTR.

I'd have another look at Maguras. I ran HS22's for years in the mid 90's when XT v's were launched as you couldn't get hold of them for love or money. Pick up a nice pair, try them and you'll not lose money if you hate them and flip them on.

Once you get used to them they are epic in terms of stopping power, and they aren't necessarily the "on/off" modulation that the trials boys and girls love them for. Hardly needed any maintenance either, which for a retro build is less of a consideration - but for a regular rider in the winter muck of the south downs was a godsend (unless you had a habit of stacking and ripping the hoses out, which I did, and was more than a little inconvenient)

A set of racelines don't have to be lairy yellow (I'm sure I've seen silver) and they are more adjustable than the lower end models. I'd use them on the Zaskar rather than your steel bikes and always with a brace as they can flex the seatstays (visible even with a brace!)

Problem with the emergent disc brakes of the mid 90's is they were just clunky massive things (though Formula were quite smart IIRC) - and no one really wants to bolt a rear disc mount onto the seatstay of a boutique steel frame... AMP did disc brakes too, so why not an F1 fork on the steel frame with their disc.

Yeh had a few sets of Quiksilver , Tomac and normal Racelines. Might go with a Tomac set again on the Zaskar.

Also now have a lead on a set of Proshift mechs in silver which may go well in my Pace

Had C2 Hopes back in 98 on my Zaskar and they were decent but don’t like the torsion arm set ups so may go Hope on my F3000 and move the supremes onto the pace too.

Xizang can stay as XTR and the dekerf is a work in progress as I’d like a rigid fork and maybe some fancy hubs.

Back