Bit bored of my bikes ending up very similar

What’s this about Campag being dead by then? Any Campag bought in ‘95 would still be going strong a couple of years later; “bad shifting forever” etc. 🤣 ..plus, some dealers were sure to be trying to shift unsold stock nobody wanted well into ‘96!
If going for Campag it has to be Icarus or Record OR though …so much nicer than earlier efforts.

All the bikes I use regularly are 95-97 and all run Campag or Sachs Quarz mech’s. Nice ‘V’ brakes from Control Tech, Hershey, Paul, Avid etc. Lots of ‘boutique’ levers from that period too. Likewise hubs and cranksets ..I like White Industries and Middleburn stuff.
Not all CNCd parts were crap!

With the exception of the shifters and F&R mechs, and perhaps rings (which you'll struggle to better 950) there's a world of choice when you think about it, just depends how deep your pockets are.

Mix it up with XT parts for visual difference. Is the XTR performance that much better?

I'd always wanted a US build so I could get some Onza HO's or HOLA's until I realised they are made of cheese, as were a lot of the boutique parts of the day.

Also, when did the trend for fitting a short cage road rear mech finish? Maybe on the Zaskar as a nod to the racers of the day, and I remember a lot of the readers bikes in MBUK featuring them (Justin's DB springs to mind)

I think if you want to stay 96-98 then you are pretty much stuck with Shimano.

You could try a Middleburn or white industries chainset and some avid ti v brakes, but mechs and shifters are the big S.

Maybe try building some m739 xt stuff as a visual change. Or the 9 speed deore lx groupset is very pretty.

Oh, and if you've any spare xtr chainsets ...

I think if you want to stay 96-98 then you are pretty much stuck with Shimano.

You could try a Middleburn or white industries chainset and some avid ti v brakes, but mechs and shifters are the big S.

Maybe try building some m739 xt stuff as a visual change. Or the 9 speed deore lx groupset is very pretty.

Oh, and if you've any spare xtr chainsets ...

I’ve got quite a few M739 bikes too 😂

My pace is running middleburn/Royce cranks so ticked that box

Maybe some avid Ti brakes could be a option but they simply aren’t as appealing as Supremes.

I’ve a ‘few’ XTR chainsets but good ones are getting harder and harder to find so hoarding those. Somebody reallly needs to buy a load of rubbed ones and have them refinished the same as OE

Back