Bikes and wheels from your local tip

My local tip is in Ilkeston, Derbyshire and when I was a kid my dad used to run it on behalf of a family that had a few locally (Dunkirk, Hucknall, Langar, and Ilkeston)
Selling stuff was perfectly normal and pretty much covered the wages, £5 here, 10 there, whatever really. Regular people used to come for certain stuff - TV’s, clothes, bric-a-brac, furniture , kitchen appliances, oh and bikes. No chance now. All the staff have body cameras and the only thing they’re allowed to sell is bagged compost soil. Nothing like it used to be.
I have Loscoe tip down the road and they were pretty good until recently 😥

this all just goes to show we are now a throw away society and all this green environtal recycling stuff is just a load of bollocks.

plus the councils are charging for more and more items at the tip so fly tipping will only get worse.

so if any one wants to fly tip any old retro bikes they dont want please be sure to drop them outside my house.

Whilst not exactly tip finds, my family ran skip hire for years and my dad would always put any bikes to one side for me.

Over the years I've had some very nice bike finds, probably the best was a Joe Waugh, reynolds 531c, can't remember the groupset but was far too small for me, one of the last was a Giant defy, weird thing was we got the wheels and some components in their first skip, then the frame, forks bars and cranks turned up in their second skip - I think that the husband hadn't told his wife about his new bike and was upgrading a little a time 😂

I've still got a container full of bmx's, deffo a grifter, a record sprint, about 4 pre-war bikes and God knows what else.

Latest posts

Back