Bikes and Bunkers

Cool idea for a thread! As someone from a coastal and quite war proud town (see Tommy by Ray Lonsdale etc), exploring old pillboxes and the like is something we all did through childhood. Had always assumed the ones in my town were only coastal due to the docks, so imagine my surprise when hopping on the earlier linked database and finding one a two minute cycle from my house. Blew my mind given this is just off a path I have traverse hundreds of times in my life and never noticed due to it being slightly out of eye level.

km7Q5bS.jpeg

ZuZQEBS.jpeg

My riding to Lydbrook, specifically to find this bunker: 20240912_131407.jpg
Round the back of an industrial estate,

(https://www.whateversleft.co.uk/industrial/reed-corrigated-cases-factory-lower-lydbrook/)

which used to produce cable -
Important enough in ww2 to have a pillbox guarding the railway approach, and several air- raid shelters in the woods. 20240912_131423.jpg
The Luftwaffe tried to bomb the works a few times, although only managed minor local damage.

The other side of the railway bridge has another pillbox, double embrasures, focused straight across the bridge.
20240912_131446.jpg

Wasn't intending on any bunker hunting this morning but I knew one was a stones throw from where I'd get off the NCR so I went for a look. That stones throw ended up dragging the bike uphill due to the loosest recently tilled soil known to man 😅 Type 22/Stent prefab looking very overgrown! EDOBID e11673

dw3dxz0.jpeg

Not much to report inside bar the usual litter and graffiti, looking west along the B1404.

2PsVsmn.jpeg

Seems fitting for the thread too, Seaham Harbours decommissioned WW2 Howitzer Gun that was installed a year or two back where a gun battery once stood.

osFWI8P.jpeg

Wasn't intending on any bunker hunting this morning but I knew one was a stones throw from where I'd get off the NCR so I went for a look. That stones throw ended up dragging the bike uphill due to the loosest recently tilled soil known to man 😅 Type 22/Stent prefab looking very overgrown! EDOBID e11673

dw3dxz0.jpeg

Not much to report inside bar the usual litter and graffiti, looking west along the B1404.

2PsVsmn.jpeg

Seems fitting for the thread too, Seaham Harbours decommissioned WW2 Howitzer Gun that was installed a year or two back where a gun battery once stood.

osFWI8P.jpeg
Looks like a 5.5",a good gun back in the day.

Back