Bikes and Bridges

even if there is a road above, I am not sure that this qualify as a 'bridge'.

66c7477199ca9174393f8aef.jpg
"Bikes by the Tunnel" thread is yours to start, Hombre

I'm sure there's a proper adage about Facebook marketplace whilst drunk but for this I'll just call it Fridays impulse Saturdays regret. Early finish and a few drinks lead to sending an absurd lowball on an 09 Kona Blast Deluxe that had been doing the rounds on marketplace the last month or two. Got a lift to go pick it up that night, ended up being pretty dark and I don't think the JD helped my perception of it either. Pulled it out this morning; a lot of flaking paint/cable rub, Clarkes brakes with seized pistons, bent derailleur cage, shot fork seals and quite frankly it stunk which I narrowed down to the tyres. Started ripping it apart and ended up in an hour long debacle with what seemed more like a wire beaded pit bike tire than an mtb one. Mostly just threw parts bin stuff at it so it's now 1x9 with a generic Chinese crankset/38t chainring up front and 11-32 on the back. Really couldn't be fucked trying to service the Clarkes but I had a set of M355s going spare so they got threw on there along with a Selle saddle, some bars I forgot the brand of due to painting them multiple times, dmr grips/pedals and for tires I threw on a super old set of 1.90s just to see how the sidewalls looked with the frame. With all that done took it for a very slow and steady few miles due to the age and condition of the tires.

Overall feels okay, headset definitely needs a service, I reckon the brakes got a bit contaminated during cleaning and the fork will either need a service or just straight up replacing which I'm leaning towards the latter. Will also need to colour match a bit more alongside some new tires but overall I can see it being a very fun ride. Anyway that was a very long winded post for a picture where the bike is more of the focus than the bridge :D

Attachments

• IMG_20240831_171917_1.jpg
    IMG_20240831_171917_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Back