Bike for my wife

oldscool

Dirt Disciple
Im looking at building a hard tail mountain bike for my wife and had a question about what frame to go for.

My wife and I do not really like the look of the "women specific" style frames with the dropped bar. Would it be OK to go for a small Mens frame instead?

Any women on here that ride mens bikes? or any of your wifes/GF's that do?

Go for a moto style GT

Classic003.jpg

moto's are very nice, whats the other one, a giant acid?? or similar jump type frame.

acid.jpg

just the smaller end of the market really ;)

I did think about a jump frame but wasnt sure how well it would build up as a XC bike.

The seat stays always look like they are at a funny angle and would not be suitable????

i cant really say from experience for using a small bike i.e. jump type frame for xc is good but, i do know that they are quite nimble and i dont think would feel out of place.

Look for a small retro frame. Yo Betty would be cool. I built up a Mountain Goat for Mrs S- its a 15" frame. I knew she would never even look at it so i made sure it had a long enough top tube for moi :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My wife who is only 5' 2" rides a mens 16.5" Trek 800 that we brought new back in 1996. I would certainly recommend a small mans frame for your other half, you may want to kit it out a bit differently though so she is comfortable on it.
The Trek now has Indy S short travel forks, a shorter stem with more of a rise, riser bars and a WTB speed She seat. She really enjoyed riding it last weekend and was flying along with a lot more confidence than the past.

Carl.

Back