Big babies

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
My wife has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, while they say 98% of mothers recover, babies can get bigger on the excess sugar.....anyone know if this has any real damaging affects on the baby ?

Whatleymeister":xoxytbpv said:
What gave me more of a shock is a woman giving birth to a baby of '4.5kg or more' :shock: Now THAT is something I do not envy!

My Son was over 9lb.. me and my Brother were around 12lb birth weight.

My first boy was 10lb and 24" long :shock:

Second couple of pound lighter and an inch shorter.

The wife's only 5'2" :D

Mah wahf had it too. No I'll effect whatsoever for here or the spawn. Don't worry yourself dude :) one little girl, one fat lad :LOL:

Think he's gonna be long...looked all legs at last scan.......we have had some info from various sources, but it's always good to see what real experiences people have had, cheers.

Macrosomia (baby bigger than 4kg/ 9lbs 15) is the only real common side effect of GD

Makes bub slightly more likely to get type2 diabetes itself in later life

Main immediate issue is delivering the bigger baby!!

In addition, GD in 1st pregnancy makes GD in subsequent pregnancies more likely, which in turn increases the chance of mum getting diabetes permanently

My wife had it when she was pregnant last year. She got seriously scared about having to TRY and give birth to a large baby....something which they kept on saying was the case, every time she was in for a check/scan/measurement/etc.

Mia appeared and she was around 7 lb 10 oz iirc. SLIGHTLY long, but i'm 6' 2" so we expected her to be tall.

I'd say there's a good chance of the baby being a bit heavier, but the GD disappears after giving birth and should have no health issues in the long term, but they MAY keep a close eye on your little one as soon as he/she is born.

Good luck. :cool:

ok cheers.....were going for a water birth if we can , only for the fact that some say it can help the pain.......

Back