Best way of removing old decals and marking up for new ones?

Removing, the hot air gun and then white spirit has worked for me.

Applying - put a piece of masking tape on as a straight edge for positioning. Shamelessly stolen from someone on here. WD?

for taking them off - don't get impatient. hot air to soften then soapy water or oil to remove the glue remnants.

for putting them on - don't rush! mark up the frame in pencil with a mid point of the decal then have a vertical cross marked on the frame. mark the backing paper for the decal with another cross & line up all 4 marks to each other before you rub the decal onto the frame.

also make sure you have given them a really good rub before you peel back the backing paper to avoid the less sticky edges lifting off or creasing.

degreasing the frame before applying is also essential especially if you have been using oil or similar to remove old glue.

Hairdryer. Removes decals easily.

Residue - WD40. No worries on splilling any on anything either.

BEFORE you remove them measure the positions, and photograph them, then trace all of them and measure the unwrapped tracings to get accurate sizes.

Then you can think of removing them.

For below is it ok to clean and apply a new decal over the top, then clear coat? It would make lining up easy and I'm less likely to lose the small trademark 'R' symbol, which is not on the replacement decal.

Or, should I completely remove the old decal?

Thanks

6906951896_9cbcb5506c_b.jpg

my thoughts would be complete removal - otherwise it would have a bumpy finish and might not line up exactly anyway. Try to avoid rubbing the (R) leaving that in place should be fine.

Back