Best road descent in the UK

Simplex

Retro Guru
Despite my errrm ... considerable amount of Potential Energy I have never managed more than 48 mph downhill :oops: This is due partly to the absolutely pants braking of Campag side pulls but mainly due to not knowing where the best roads are. Any suggestions ? Are the best climbs equally good coming down ? My years aim is to smash through this figure ( and not smash anything else in the process :D ).

had 50mph down winnats pass this year - overtook a car.
my record is 70mph descending down the mountain on the isle of man in the viking trophy race. Four of us were blasting through and off to catch the next lot in front and it was a heap big tailwind.

Llanberis Pass (Llanberis side not the shorter Capel Curig side) makes for a long, speedy descent. Once came quite close to overtaking a car on that road.

East Chevin End, which goes from near Leeds Bradford Airport into Otley town centre, is also a fast one and not too twisty - topped 50mph on one occasion down there!

David

It's not the most exciting climb or descent but Slack Hill between Matlock and Chesterfield takes some beating for outright speed.
It's pretty straight and 1:7 for about 3/4 of a mile. With a strong tailwind (S or SW) I've seen 72mph more than once.

Plenty of other great roads in the vicinity to get you to the top :D

Supernaut":rlu14bfz said:
It's not the most exciting climb or descent but Slack Hill between Matlock and Chesterfield takes some beating for outright speed.
It's pretty straight and 1:7 for about 3/4 of a mile. With a strong tailwind (S or SW) I've seen 72mph more than once.

Winnat Pass? used for testing motors in the pre-war era.

You can get some serious speed down Winnatts but it's easier and 'safer' on Slack as the road is wider, straighter, and there aren't any sheep wandering around :LOL:

Holme Moss down the Woodhead side also = silly speeds

Supernaut":1791i65x said:
yeah, can believe that. and its a brute of a climb, not made easier by cars racing up it, whilst a cyclist crawls up into the wind

I live in Ashover and haven't ridden up it in well over 10 years.
Down is always the quickest way home though :LOL:

Supernaut":19200n2g said:

I know that hill - but only in the car! Must be a brute to climb.

The term 'Best Road Descent' can be interpreted in different ways. To me, the fastest speed is not necessarily the defining factor. A long, sweeping, well surfaced, wide, quiet road with super views and a slight tailwind is probably 'The Best'. Now, where is there one that matches that specification?

Back