Best Find at the Dump?

BongoInTheCongo

Old School Hero
I've never really found anything of any quality at the Dump, but my brother in law stumbled across a lovely Freddie Grubb with a full Campagnolo group on it. The chainstay was a bit bent, but easy cold set. Good to ride again!

My best find was a Cove Stiffee mountain bike with some very nice parts on it. The frame was trashed unfortunately so I recycled it, but the wheels, stem, handlebars, crankset, seatpost and saddle live on on other bikes.

I once found a Gaggia Mini coffee machine outside in the street next to a broken microwave oven. People don't know anything about them, theres a very thin rubber seal in the gasket that's hard to get at with small Allen keys, it costs £3.

Your 'broken' Gaggia is mine now!

(Works like dream)

Very little luck at the tip around these parts. Rusty old Pug randonneur, Giant ATX thing, Decathlon thing with STX-RC and a Motobecane 10 speed thing about the best.

Practically anything to do with a bike at the tip, or the charity shop now makes it's way to a local bike charity. For 70€ you get an old bike fully serviced with fresh cables and fresh Conti tyres. It's hard to steer clear of the place since they have the local monopoly now.

GIGFY mentioned I’d found a René Herse. Apart from a 70s Brooks I sneaked out about 10 years ago, that’s all I’ve ever managed to get from the tip. They’re very strict about not taking anything even though I regularly ask. I don’t know why I got lucky that day!

It's not quite in the league of a Grubb or a Herse, but I found this tiny Kona sans wheels which yielded some good bits and the frame of which will go on as karma to the local retro MTB facebook group. That rack looks bigger than the frame!

IMG_0443.jpg

Last edited:
Back