Bar ends - yes or no?

azaro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Building a 97 Saracen, with black Ritchey Comp bars (580mm I think). These are much narrower than I'm used to, so thinking of adding some Ritchey Comp Ergo bar ends.
Was used to bar ends BITD for extra stretch/leverage.
What do you think?
Should I get some, or leave it as it is?

Always used bar ends on flat bars. They help so much when climbing and give you different hand positions to help with numbness.

If the bike is going to be a rider then stick them on. They were on bikes BITD for a reason. Comfort and help climbing.

What do people think about bar ends on risers? Doesnt seem to be the done thing, never tried it meself, but have been tempted.

azaro":1qkdyajy said:
Building a 97 Saracen, with black Ritchey Comp bars (580mm I think). These are much narrower than I'm used to, so thinking of adding some Ritchey Comp Ergo bar ends.
What do you think?

They'll make your bars narrower still :?

Bar ends on risers are a no-no style wise, but really ask yourself why riser bars? They are the biggest fashion mistake of the last 10 years. They give you greater rise and are wider? Then get a wider flat bar with a higher stem- it's lighter and stronger and you have greater flexibility of control placement.

Will be using flat bars.
Know that bar ends make them narrower, but they do give you that extra leverage/hand position option.
And it will be a rider, so thinking yes.
Decisions/decisions!!!!

I gave up on bar ends for woods riding years ago-sometimes I would hook one on a bush on narrow trails around here-but I still use them on the Tandem for another hand position-but I rarely ride the Tandem in the dirt, and then only on open fire roads.

azaro":242p0c0a said:
What do you think?

I used barends on my USE bars and they were 560mm before fitting.

If you want them purely for climbing then go for the stubby type. If you're wanting more hand positions as well then go for either the ski or L bend types (the L bends being my choice ;) ). There are other types around such as the Cannondale XYZs but they can look odd on the wrong type of bike.

Back