'baking' a rattle can paint job.

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am currently doing a rattlecan finish on an old frame & forks to take it from a scrappy old frameset to something a tad more presentable. the forks are already done & i opted for smooth finish white hammerite & i'll be honest it has come up pretty well.

I will be doing the frame once it has been prepped with the same paint but I have the option of baking open to me.

It just so happens, I have a big oven that I can hang a bike frame inside that will burn at anything between 150c & about 210c.

If i was to bake a frame & forks, what would be a good temperature & duration to get a more slightly more durable finish that won't chip the first time it sees a stone?

I am no expert but I am pretty sure that baking temperatures are around 60C. At 150C or higher you might damage the coating. Also I am not sure that you will get the same hardening effect with Hammerite as you would get with an automotive two pack. I would leave the paint frame in a warm ventilated place for about a week. Less risky and will get the toughness you are looking for.

I have done the hammerite paitn job. i found making sure is warm 20degrees when you paint. then putting in a boiler room 40 degress for 3-4 days worked fine. I have tried hotter and it just made the paint more brittle.

Best of luck.

Heating a 1k colour to much won`t bring more durability. Also 2k coatings dont need to be "burned".

You can ruin the paintjob easy when it gets to much heat while drying.

In Germany we say "the paint is boiling" It can get some bad "bubbles" inside and when it dryes to fast it can chip more easy because there is no adhesion between the frame and the applied colour.

A good idea is a maximum heat not more than 60C celsius for a 1k and 2k.

I would leave the paint frame in a warm ventilated place for about a week.
kv.gif

I have used heat to removed seized parts and know that you can get pretty close to 200 C without any siugn of damage to paint .... but ofcourse that would depend on the type of paint.

Regarding cooking paint, I find this does help harden the paint and 100 C is find for that. At that temperature, there is no worry about tempering aluminium or steel (unless a metallurgist says otherwise)

I've done several frames with 'smoothrite' over the years all have come out ok and I've never needed to bake any, the paint is pretty tough and as chip restistant as any other and certainly better then acylic! IMHO.

Back